Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Profile BRC Fork $200. Gunnar Roadie straight-blade 1 1/8" fork $275. Custom fork or Reynolds Ouzo Pro 1 1/8" composite steerer/blades fork $325."

I just put in an order for a Roadie and went with the straight blade option, not having much of any bike knowledge, save for a few weeks of researching and finding the roadie to be a very nice bike.
What exactly is the difference between the 3 options as far as performance, longevity, etc.?

And any suggestions as to the stem/bar/saddle/seatpost? I'm going with this kit
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...+Kit+Standard&vendorCode=CAMP&major=1&minor=2
but have read bad things about the ritchey seatpost on this site. Thinking about switching it with a Thompson, and leaving the rest of the kit alone.
Just need a little reassurance on my choices before its too late!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The Gunnar fork is steel. That would get my vote. (I had one.)

I don't see how anyone could tell the difference between the carbon forks.

Ritchey is fine. Thomson is fine.

QUOTE=longbody]"Profile BRC Fork $200. Gunnar Roadie straight-blade 1 1/8" fork $275. Custom fork or Reynolds Ouzo Pro 1 1/8" composite steerer/blades fork $325."

I just put in an order for a Roadie and went with the straight blade option, not having much of any bike knowledge, save for a few weeks of researching and finding the roadie to be a very nice bike.
What exactly is the difference between the 3 options as far as performance, longevity, etc.?

And any suggestions as to the stem/bar/saddle/seatpost? I'm going with this kit
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...+Kit+Standard&vendorCode=CAMP&major=1&minor=2
but have read bad things about the ritchey seatpost on this site. Thinking about switching it with a Thompson, and leaving the rest of the kit alone.
Just need a little reassurance on my choices before its too late![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm partial to steel everything. When I had a Roadie I had an all-carbon fork (True Temper Alpha Q). The shimmy was terrible. I replaced it with a Waterford straight fork and there was no more shimmy.

I think the Roadie is a great bike, by the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.