Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm contemplating a winter project of building one of these up. I'm thinking about getting a Gunnar Sport frame and fork and building a bike.

Does anybody here have experience with Gunnar?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing I see about these Gunnar frames is they require mid or long reach brake calipers. Apparently neither SRAM or Campy makes these types of calipers, only Shimano. I have already decided I will not build this bike with a Shimano drivetrain, it will be either SRAM or Campy.

The question is do the SRAM or Campy shifters have the correct pull ratio or at least close enough to work effectively with the mid and long reach caliper options available by Shimano, TRP, etc.?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I see about these Gunnar frames is they require mid or long reach brake calipers. Apparently neither SRAM or Campy makes these types of calipers, only Shimano. I have already decided I will not build this bike with a Shimano drivetrain, it will be either SRAM or Campy.

The question is do the SRAM or Campy shifters have the correct pull ratio or at least close enough to work effectively with the mid and long reach caliper options available by Shimano, TRP, etc.?
Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Any thoughts on this?
I don't know how this applies but I'm using Campagnolo levers with MAFAC Raid's, which are long reach center pull brakes, and all is good. I don't know how the pull ratio of the MAFAC's compare to the pull ratio of a more modern brake.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know how this applies but I'm using Campagnolo levers with MAFAC Raid's, which are long reach center pull brakes, and all is good. I don't know how the pull ratio of the MAFAC's compare to the pull ratio of a more modern brake.
Thanks velodog. I don't think I'll be going full retro brake. :D

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
If you don't need custom, they make very nice stuff. I had one of their CX frames awhile back. Loved it. Unfortunately on one of my rides, my chain came off the rear cassette, wedged into my spokes and pulled the derailleur hanger up almost 90 degrees from where it should be. Bent the seat stay, etc. I had it repaired, but with the thin wall 853 and in hindsight a suspect repair place, I didn't trust the frame. Ended up selling it.

I would buy one of their frames again without hesitation though.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
ToG might know, he built up an older Trek, runs Campy, and was talking about brake reach.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Thanks velodog. I don't think I'll be going full retro brake. :D
I pulled my front wheel off and pulled the lever to the bars, marked the cable and released the lever. The cable showed 11mm of travel.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My experience is a little old (2011). I ordered a Rock Hound (their MTB frame), and wasn't too impressed with the final product. There were paint issues, threads were gloopy and needed to be chased, it had the dreaded Gunnar seatpost slipping issue, and some other small oversights that I'd not expect on a not cheap steel frame.

I took care of the paint and other issues, but the slipping seat post (several posts, many measurements made, shims, etc.) wasn't able to be fixed. The inside of the seat tube was slightly deformed from welding. Gunnar disagreed that it was an issue, but they took it back and gave me a full refund. So, from that perspective, they were great.

Anyway, maybe look into that. I know it's been a long-time problem with some of their frames. That said, they make some cool stuff in neat colors and I've been tempted to buy another. Not all of them have issues, after all.

When it comes to long reach brakes, I had TRP 957s on my old Kona Tonk (which was finished much better than the Gunnar...). They were decent. Plenty of power, anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts