Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own a Gunnar Sport or Roadie or a Torelli Corsa Strada or Countach ?

I like the idea of a US built Gunnar but I also love the look and potential ride quality of the Torelli bikes - which are US owned and finished in US.

Anyone have an thoughts ??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
PTV said:

I like the idea of a US built Gunnar but I also love the look and potential ride quality of the Torelli bikes - which are US owned and finished in US.

Thanks.
Gunnar.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Italy vs. Wisconsin. Cheese vs. uh.... cheese. Steel vs. steel. My wife has a Gunnar, but I know people who own Torelli's. I don't think you can go wrong as long as it fits you.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Torelli

PTV said:

Thanks.
No experience with Gunnar but they do seem to have a good reputation. I have a Torelli Brianza. Of my 3 steel bikes it's unquestionably the stiffest and quickest handling. I like the Italian aspect but that is just a preference. I doubt you could go too wrong with either. Good luck

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
I don't have any of those, but I do have a Gunnar Crosshairs which I love. They make great frames. Then again, you couldn't go wrong with Torelli either, so I"m not helping you much.

Get both!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys..... unfortunately these are two of the hardest bikes to "test ride" - the Torelli especially, as they are generally painted and delivered to order. I'll get a good fit at my LBS.

Anyone know if the Columbus Life steel on the Countach is really that different to the Columbus Zona on the Corsa Strada ? A touch lighter obviously, but other than that, anything ?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
PTV said:
Anyone know if the Columbus Life steel on the Countach is really that different to the Columbus Zona on the Corsa Strada ? A touch lighter obviously, but other than that, anything ?
While not absolutely on target, let's answer that this way...

·
Slow but not so steady
598 Posts
I've owned Gunnars and they are solid rides. I could never tell the difference between Reynolds 853, Reynolds 631, or True Temper Ox Plat. I've owned several steel bikes over the year and the only place I could tell the difference with steel was in the forks and that had more to do about design than the type of steel.

The Corsa Strada does have some nice frame details with the lugged bottom bracket and integrated seatpost clamp. $800 ain't bad. I'm not a fan of the dropouts on the Countach but that is personal preference. $1200 puts you close to custom thru Waterford.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sport or Raodie ? I know they are designed for different styles but anyone have any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
PTV said:
Sport or Raodie ? I know they are designed for different styles but anyone have any thoughts ?
I could tell the difference. The Roadie was fun but the geometry was too racy for me over long distances. The Sport is great but you can only run those skinny 28s with fenders...:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks... makes sense... dont need fenders - live in Southern California ! Wouldn't go bigger than 27c tyres - still, Sport might be the way to go...
Still hard to overlook the Torelli. The Gunnars don't look that nice in pictures - but I'm guessing they look better in person !

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
PTV said:
Thanks... makes sense... dont need fenders - live in Southern California ! Wouldn't go bigger than 27c tyres - still, Sport might be the way to go...
Still hard to overlook the Torelli. The Gunnars don't look that nice in pictures - but I'm guessing they look better in person !
I hate the compact design of the Gunnars--I had a 2002 Roadie that had a little less slope; that was okay.

·
Registered
291 Posts
PTV said:
live in Southern California !
Yeah? Where in SoCal. I just found out a Torelli distributor is essentially a mile or two from my house. I called, and they said they could set me up with almost everything except a group and paint.

·
Registered
291 Posts
+1 It just doesn't look good on an all steel bicycle. If the bike has carbon forks or seat stays, then it looks fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live in Sherman Oaks - funny thing is that the Torelli HQ is in North Hollywood ! As you say, about two miles away from me...
I know Bicycle Johns - was there at the weekend. There is also Hollywood Pro Bikes (now Topanga Canyon Cycles or something) -
There's no problem getting a frame - they just don't stock bikes to test ride. John's has a couple - but not in my size...
You thinking of getting one ?

·
Registered
291 Posts
PTV said:
I live in Sherman Oaks - funny thing is that the Torelli HQ is in North Hollywood ! As you say, about two miles away from me...
I know Bicycle Johns - was there at the weekend. There is also Hollywood Pro Bikes (now Topanga Canyon Cycles or something) -
There's no problem getting a frame - they just don't stock bikes to test ride. John's has a couple - but not in my size...
You thinking of getting one ?
Yeah. I'm vacillating like crazy, though. One day I'm thinking of an old Coppi, then the next a Lynskey. Today I went from Serotta to Torelli. In the last five minutes, I've looked at Kapu and now I'm checking out Habanero.

Evidently, I suffer ADD when it comes to bicycle frames. :mad2:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Know the feeling... looked at all of those... Kapu is nice but seems impossible to get a frame only. Torelli just seems like good value....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.