Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gut Check 212: August 7th-9th, 2009

I'd like to gauge interest in getting a team together to do this 412 mile bicycle race across South Dakota. I would like to do this event solo in preparation for my 540 mile RAAM qualifier in September, but I'm going to have a problem getting a support vehicle together because I'm from the wrong coast... so if I could pair myself with a team who could help me out with that it would be ideal.

From the website:

The purpose of this event is to raise funds and awareness for the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA). To find out more about the CCFA please visit: www.ccfa.org

There are several different categories in the Gut Check, so find one that suits you and get yourself or a team registered. Registration fee is a minimum of $100.00 per participant in donations for the CCFA. You can pay the $100.00 yourself or help to raise awareness by soliciting donations from various individuals. Last year we had a couple of riders that raised over $1,000.00 for the event and a few more that were over the $500.00 mark. The CCFA is a non-profit organization so all donations are tax deductible.

All registered participants will receive a cycling jersey at the start of the race. The winners of the male and female solo division will receive a winners jersey.

The race divisions are as follows:
Solo

* 412 miles of Highway 212 all to yourself

2-Person Relay

* Exchange in Gettysburg (Where the battle wasn’t)
o Rider 1: SD/WY Border to Gettysburg = 226 miles
o Rider 2: Gettysburg to SD/MN Border = 186 miles

4-Person Relay

* Exchanges are Faith, Gettysburg, and Redfield
o Rider 1: SD/WY Border to Faith = 113 miles
o Rider 2: Faith to Gettysburg = 112 miles
o Rider 3:Gettysburg to Redfield = 81 miles
o Rider 4: Redfield to SD/MN Border = 106 miles

Leap Frog

* Unlimited number of riders. Exchange whenever, wherever, and as often as you like.

Hell & Back

* For the truly sadistic. Start at whichever border you like, ride to the other one, turn around and come back.
o 824 miles with a 96 hour time limit.
o The Hell & Back starts on Wednesday August 5th, 2009 at 3:00 PM (MT). You can do this Solo, Relay or Leapfrog.

Tandem:

* You can complete any of the above divisions on a tandem. Misery loves company.

Personal support vehicles are permitted and highly recommended. There will be no neutral support vehicles. Helmet mandatory. Headlight and taillight are mandatory if you plan on riding after sunset or before sunrise. Drafting is permitted but should be done with caution and by those experienced in riding in close proximity to others. Recumbents and unicyles are allowed.

The race route is SD Highway 212, no other route may be used (hopefully no detours this year). If you are not familiar with the route it would be advisable to carry a map of South Dakota with you during the race.

What say you, Loungers?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Dearest Von. U R insane. That is all. And good luck:thumbsup:

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
first spain, now this?! you live the life. :thumbsup:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Are you looking for crew?

Len

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Len J said:
Are you looking for crew?

Len
If someone wants to offer to crew for me, I wouldn't be dumb enough to turn it down! I figured it might be easier to get a group together as a team and pair up with them, but either way gets the job done. I was seriously considering panniers and a lot of cash for gas station stops if that didn't pan out.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
If you guys noticed, with four riders there's no leg greater than 113 miles.

Len already prepped for the 81 mile leg. :)

I'd love to...if I could get my poop in a group. But, it's a long, long drive from where I'm at.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OldEndicottHiway said:
If you guys noticed, with four riders there's no leg greater than 113 miles.

Len already prepped for the 81 mile leg. :)

I'd love to...if I could get my poop in a group. But, it's a long, long drive from where I'm at.
You could also do "leap frog" with an unlimited number of riders and exchange wherever and whenever you like.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
firstrax said:
I can not do South Dakota but if you need crew or a chase vehicle for any New England event I'm in.
Might take you up on that... I'm already trying to finagle a teammate into running support for the Adirondack 540 race on September 12th (?). That's my RAAM qualifier, so it's uber important I have a great support team. I won't be able to do it without them.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
vonteity said:
If someone wants to offer to crew for me, I wouldn't be dumb enough to turn it down! I figured it might be easier to get a group together as a team and pair up with them, but either way gets the job done. I was seriously considering panniers and a lot of cash for gas station stops if that didn't pan out.
Crewing night be an option.

Keep me posted.

Len

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Looks like the start is around Belle Fourche (pron "Foosh" wtf) SD. Oughtta plan on getting there a couple days early and spending some time in Deadwood and the Black Hills. Really pretty area, fun gambling, historic. I used to go there once a year or two when I lived in Casper.

Looks like a 16 hour drive from my place. Not as bad as I previously thought. But, then I'd would have to get back from the other side of S.D. and then I would have to drive another 16 hours home. Can you hear the violins? :)

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
Hmm ... I might be up for that, either riding or just driving the support car. I'm in your neck of the woods, so could share the drive out there (if that's what you're planning?)

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
1) Well we will be retired by then.

2) My dad was from South Dakota.

3) Are you nuts?!?

3a) When did you discover an interest in Ultra Distance?

4) Have you ever done a double century or even a 300k?

5) There are few things on earth more boring than following an ultra cyclist.

6) Ah what the heck, it ain't like I'll miss any work.

7) How much sleep are you thinking about?

8) Put me down as "maybe" as support.

9) I'll bring the Van Von. :D

BTW you got a nicely broken in Brooks yet?

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim Nazium said:
Hmm ... I might be up for that, either riding or just driving the support car. I'm in your neck of the woods, so could share the drive out there (if that's what you're planning?)
I was planning on flying if it was possible. It's a long ass drive from Baltimore, MD. I didn't really consider how I would get BACK to the starting point, however... and the website doesn't seem to offer how you will get there.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
vonteity said:
Might take you up on that... I'm already trying to finagle a teammate into running support for the Adirondack 540 race on September 12th (?). That's my RAAM qualifier, so it's uber important I have a great support team. I won't be able to do it without them.
Thats an easy drive across Vermont for me.
Touch base a couple months before if you need a large SUV and someone who can take orders. List out any gear you would need as back-up.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MB1 said:
1) Well we will be retired by then.
Yay!
MB1 said:
2) My dad was from South Dakota.
Oooookay.
MB1 said:
3) Are you nuts?!?
Some have suggested so.
MB1 said:
3a) When did you discover an interest in Ultra Distance?
When I decided to ride RAAM solo in 2010.
MB1 said:
4) Have you ever done a double century or even a 300k?
No, but I have a double century in the works for July.
MB1 said:
5) There are few things on earth more boring than following an ultra cyclist.
Not if she's as hot and dead sexy as me!
MB1 said:
6) Ah what the heck, it ain't like I'll miss any work.
True dat.
MB1 said:
7) How much sleep are you thinking about?
None, not planning on getting any in my RAAM qualifier.
MB1 said:
8) Put me down as "maybe" as support.
Yay!
MB1 said:
9) I'll bring the Van Von. :D
Sweet!
MB1 said:
BTW you got a nicely broken in Brooks yet?
No, still riding a.. uhm... I think it's a San Marco? Whatever, I like it.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
moschika said:
first spain, now this?! you live the life. :thumbsup:
Yeah, and the bank account is proof of that. That's why I'm trying to do this on the cheap!

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
I have a family friend that lives outside Custer, SD. I'd be willing to drive support especially if I'm still unemployed in August. You know SD is hot and dry in August right?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
if we didn't have a 2y/o, i could probably talk my wife into doing it with me. but since we do, i don't think i can help. good luck tho.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts