Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched OLN's Tour preview last night, and could not believe the way their team tiptoed around the expultion of the Operation Peurto riders. Phil Liggett repeatedly stated that these riders were not guilty of anything, especially doping, and that all they are accused of is having there name on a piece of paper in Spain! Huhhh? Never mind that the paper documents blood transfusions, and comes complete with blood samples, etc. Liggett even went as far as to say of Ullrich, " look how innocent he looks", and " he's only guilty of knowing bad people" followed by the classic " there are lots of bad doctors in Spain". Al Trautwig was the only OLN member to pose legitimate questions, which were lamely swept under the table by Phil and his gang. Just as its time to get rid of riders and directors who support doping, its time to get rid of Liggett, the great doping appologist.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,357 Posts
Fignon's Barber said:
the great doping appologist.
SPOILER: from pre-race coverage

"[if they are doping] then good ridance"

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KenB said:
Nothing like giving people their day in court, eh?
Not the point. As a journalist, they have the responsibility to report all the facts and let the audience form there own opinion. They skirted the facts, downplayed the contents of the report, skipped the fact that the german head of anti-doping challenged Ullrich to submit one lock of his hair and they'd prove if the transfused blood was his through DNA testing in 2 hours ( he declined). I could go on and on. All they could come up with was, " there are alot of bad doctors in spain"? Last I heard, Ullrich lives in Switzerland, and would have to willingly travel to spain to meet these people. They made it seem like Ullrich was walking down to his local 7eleven, and was pulled down the back alley by some "bad" spanish doctors. Sorry to interupt your Tour, now go back to your tv and believe everything that Liggett tells you.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
As a journalist, they have the responsibility to report all the facts and let the audience form there own opinion.
Journalists don't have "the responsibility to report all the facts." They're only responsible to their employers for snaring as many readers, listeners or viewers as possible. In view of that, you've got to give Liggett a lot credit to step lightly.

As has been said by others, this whole sordid affair is played out like a reversal of the legal principles most of us like to believe in: there's an accusation, followed by the instruction to the accused to prove his innocence. While this might be the way of the Tour, it's a strange notion to those brought up with the US or UK legal system. Liggett's restrained comments reflect this feeling.

· ride-a-holic
288 Posts
Phil did/said what he should have..

and also said that if there are guilty the sport is better off without them. BUT, just like he said noone is guilty yet.
I would be happy to not hear another thing about for the next 22 days. Concentrate on the race and the riders who are taking on the toughest sporting event in the world.

· Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
i like how liggett says how if they were doping may they never come back, then when david millar appears, all they can do is make excuses for him and instantly forgive him (hmm, maybe cause he's a brit?). i guess it's back to the extensive focus on millar no matter how bad he's sucking it up.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
TylerDurden said:
i like how liggett says how if they were doping may they never come back, then when david millar appears, all they can do is make excuses for him and instantly forgive him (hmm, maybe cause he's a brit?). i guess it's back to the extensive focus on millar no matter how bad he's sucking it up.
noticed that too, it made no sense. nor did the repeated claims that Jan had been "smoking in the boys room"(wtf?) and "associating with the wrong people"(paraphrasing there), thus his expulsion. Im pretty confident they've got more on jan than just a poor choice of acquaintances.

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
The one thing you can say about Millar is that he took his punishment like a man. He didn't claim he was innocent, or the tests were faulty, or he ate a laced burrito. He admitted everything and gave up his rainbow jersey. I can't say I'm his biggest fan, but he sure stands in contrast to most of the other dopers who get caught.

· Registered
3,140 Posts
Yes Yes

Let do hash and re hash the same damn stuff over and over. Actually your right Ligett is going light on the ejections but hes not a journalist hes a commenator .. but I am not tuning into to hear about that doping crap over and over again (yes I am awear it happens - not denying that) I am more interested in the race - sorry your not, perhaps you could find something else to watch. Also they have not be found guilty of anything yet the case has to be proved in court not just in your my minds.

Fignon's Barber said:
Not the point. As a journalist, they have the responsibility to report all the facts and let the audience form there own opinion. They skirted the facts, downplayed the contents of the report, skipped the fact that the german head of anti-doping challenged Ullrich to submit one lock of his hair and they'd prove if the transfused blood was his through DNA testing in 2 hours ( he declined). I could go on and on. All they could come up with was, " there are alot of bad doctors in spain"? Last I heard, Ullrich lives in Switzerland, and would have to willingly travel to spain to meet these people. They made it seem like Ullrich was walking down to his local 7eleven, and was pulled down the back alley by some "bad" spanish doctors. Sorry to interupt your Tour, now go back to your tv and believe everything that Liggett tells you.

· Banned
18 Posts
Tell them what they want to hear

Fignon's Barber said:
Liggett even went as far as to say of Ullrich, " look how innocent he looks", and " he's only guilty of knowing bad people" followed by the classic " there are lots of bad doctors in Spain". .
Sometimes people say things they don't believe in to get what they want. OLN wants viewers for the good, clean sport of cycling.

I did the same thing last night...Me and my wing man Jimmy were out on the town and we met 2 chicks, one a total pig...mustache, big gut, the works... and the other a hottie. I start telling Jimmy how the pig is pretty cute and I think she digs him, this gives me a clear path to close the deal with the hottie. Like a good wing man Jimmy jumped on the grenade

OLN has been doing this for the last 7 years, trying to convince us that Lance is not a doping jerk

· MTBR Super Mod'
272 Posts
What a load of rubbish.

Phil was fine.

I think all the Journalists (including a few Americans) have done a fine job in ensuring the focus remains on calling the race and focusing on the Tour at hand.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
32and3cross said:
Let do hash and re hash the same damn stuff over and over. Actually your right Ligett is going light on the ejections but hes not a journalist hes a commenator .. but I am not tuning into to hear about that doping crap over and over again (yes I am awear it happens - not denying that) I am more interested in the race - sorry your not, perhaps you could find something else to watch.

I'm sure that if you asked any "commenator", he or she would be the first to tell you that they are, in fact, journalists. I am going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you are not a journalist. Finally, where did you come up with the stupid assumption that I'm not interested in the race?

· Registered
200 Posts
TylerDurden said:
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed in Phil, but I understand his position. He's a cordial commentator, not a radical left/right evangalist. So Phil had to play to all viewpoints. Acknoledge everything but not support anything too strongly. I was happy that he said, "if they are cheats, then good riddance". I was happy that DaveM took his punishment like a man. But I think Phil went pretty soft on DaveM.

· Registered
3,140 Posts
yeah I am sure they would say they were journalists, but they are not investigative journalists but really they are paided to commentate on a event and usually with a tone in mind (in this case cycling in a positive light with a heavy Lance armstong over tone). Actually I have been a journalist, have you. Lastly you seem to want lots of coverage/commentary of a doping scandle instead of the race thats pretty stupid assumtion of yours, most of us are more interested in the race its self.

Fignon's Barber said:

I'm sure that if you asked any "commenator", he or she would be the first to tell you that they are, in fact, journalists. I am going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you are not a journalist. Finally, where did you come up with the stupid assumption that I'm not interested in the race?

· Registered
1,223 Posts
I could come up with a list saying "Fignon's Barber" right now, or even a bag of blood in my frige with the same name on the label.

Fignon's Barber said:
I watched OLN's Tour preview last night, and could not believe the way their team tiptoed around the expultion of the Operation Peurto riders. Phil Liggett repeatedly stated that these riders were not guilty of anything, especially doping, and that all they are accused of is having there name on a piece of paper in Spain! Huhhh? Never mind that the paper documents blood transfusions, and comes complete with blood samples, etc. Liggett even went as far as to say of Ullrich, " look how innocent he looks", and " he's only guilty of knowing bad people" followed by the classic " there are lots of bad doctors in Spain". Al Trautwig was the only OLN member to pose legitimate questions, which were lamely swept under the table by Phil and his gang. Just as its time to get rid of riders and directors who support doping, its time to get rid of Liggett, the great doping appologist.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.