Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to road biking and have been experiencing this problem twice now on long rides (30 mils and 50 miles). The problem is, whenever I climb really long hills my little brother went to sleep :confused: (numb). What's going on here? How do I fix it? Please help...I still want to have children some day ;) . Thanks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
luckystart said:
Hi all,

I'm new to road biking and have been experiencing this problem twice now on long rides (30 mils and 50 miles). The problem is, whenever I climb really long hills my little brother went to sleep :confused: (numb). What's going on here? How do I fix it? Please help...I still want to have children some day ;) . Thanks.
Based on past threads on this, try adjusting the angle of your saddle and stand up more frequently to let the blood flow.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Tilt adjustment

luckystart said:
Adjust it to have the tip down?
Hard to say, because we don't know how you have it now. If the nose is too far down you will tend to slide forward, making the problem worse. If the nose is too far up, well you can just imagine. Another key is to make sure that you are sitting properly on the saddle - your sit bones should be perched on the wider rear part. If you find that this moves you too far back, then you may need to move the saddle forward to compensate. If you're perched properly on the saddle and the angle is right, there should be minimal pressure on John Thomas.

·
Registered
635 Posts
also how are u tucking it? is it left, up, right, down? Don't tuck down. I personally prefer left for some reason....it just works for me. It took me a few rides to find that out, so experiment.....and if you adjust it more than twice you are playing with it;) :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Besides the seat angle as mentioned above, you definately need to stand periodically on long climbs (also mentioned above). I would add that you should move around on the saddle and handlebars on long climbs as well, as this can help. For me, sitting up with my hands on top of the bars puts the most pressure on the nether region. Before I nailed down my seat angle, I had alot of numbness when I went into the drops, but now that I angled it down a few degrees, the drops actually give me some relief from this pressure.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
CC09 said:
also how are u tucking it? is it left, up, right, down? Don't tuck down. I personally prefer left for some reason....it just works for me. It took me a few rides to find that out, so experiment.....and if you adjust it more than twice you are playing with it;) :D
Must be nice...mine just burrows in like a scared turtle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also, could be your saddle type

Some fit better than others. I switched to one with a center cutout and haven't had any numbness since. It supports the sit bones and doesn't put any pressure on the nerve that runs through "the hallway."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.