Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brake Housing, cutting

Can I use regular wire cutters to cut brake housing. I know there are special tools. If it pinches I can use needle nose to open it again??? Just asking if this would work???

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Can I use regular wire cutters to cut brake housing. I know there are special tools. If it pinches I can use needle nose to open it again??? Just asking if this would work???
Not very well,but it can be done. You'll need a pointy tool of some kind to re-open the crushed liner, and maybe a file to clean up the raggedy end of the cut coil.

Do you know anybody with a Dremel tool or similar? The little cutoff wheels make it very neat.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Only when they're very sharp. With cable cutters or diagonal cutters, you still need to clean up the cut a little, but when the dikes get dull, they crush more than the cable cutters when they're dull.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
get some cable cutters. well worth it. you will avoid a lot of frustration.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Wire cutters work. I used 'em for years when I was a poor student. A finish nail works well to open the end. Sharp cutters help a lot. A file works to smooth the metal housing but I use a grinding wheel.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It can also help to put a bit of the cable in the housing when you are cutting, just enought to create the void when its pulled out.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I completly understand the pros and cons and what to do with wire cutters... How about a fine tooth hacksaw?? I am thinking putting the housing in vice. Start cutting one side then rotate the housing a little cut, etc until it's completely cut. This way I think I can prevent the pinching issues. Ideas??

·
22 going on Ancient
373 Posts
It'll end up extremely ragged. You'll still need to do a lot of finish work that could be avoided by using the proper tool... just my $.02

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Ok, I completly understand the pros and cons and what to do with wire cutters... How about a fine tooth hacksaw?? I am thinking putting the housing in vice. Start cutting one side then rotate the housing a little cut, etc until it's completely cut. This way I think I can prevent the pinching issues. Ideas??
you're joking right? you've had an account here since 2007.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Get thee

Muaythaibike said:

Dude, you can buy some Park cable cutters for around $30.00 and they will last forever.
Cutting with a hacksaw will leave your cables ragged and rough. Use the right tools.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Cutoff tool? Not offhand.. I also have a hacksaw, would this be better. Pointy tool.. I have a nail punch!!!
You just brought back a memory from my youth (1960s). I don't know if I figured this out for myself or if maybe I saw my grandpa do it (my dad fixed very little, my grandpa was an old school mechanic).

I'd use a blunt tipped punch, hammer and appropriately sized nut. I'd lay the chain over the nut, punch the pin out and break the chain. I'm sure I punched the pin clear through many times and struggled to get it back in afterwards, but eventually learned to finesse it just like a chain tool. I don't think I knew there was anything like a chain tool before the early-mid 70s, and I distinctively recall thinking "this is f'ing brilliant!"

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
get a cheapo 4" angle grinder from Harbor Freight ($20)and some cutting discs.....then you can cut drive chain, regular chain, cable housing, etc easily

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
i bought a pair of Nashbar cable cutters around 15 years ago. They worked great then. They work great now. I have no idea what I paid for them, but they were really inexpensive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts