Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped 3 cars back from the red light. Then came the 4th car - slowly came up beside me - I was 18" from the white line. The light turned green, I started to roll, the Accord passed me 3" from me - the mirror would've hit me if I hadn't moved. She (the driver) was clearly making a point: "The road is for cars. I will not move left a single inch"

Did you know, a downward "hammer fist" will obliterate an Accord side view mirror. She does now.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Impatient bastiges :mad: . Some people have no tolerance for a simple 3-4 second courtesy thought. Did she pursue you when you took out her mirror?

Were you in the left turn lane, or off of the right side lane going straight?

I always go up to the front of the line so I can get a better rolling start.....

·
Registered
403 Posts
That's why I always take the lane at an intersection. Too many things that can go wrong due to impatient drivers.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Dutch77 said:
That's why I always take the lane at an intersection. Too many things that can go wrong due to impatient drivers.
I move up to be the first vehicle at an intersection. If someone wants to turn right, I make sure I am not in their way and then when the light changes I can be seen.

Good for the mirror.

·
downhill quickly
755 Posts
Man, reading this conjures up all those memories of idiots aiming at me. Then I could feel it coming on again…that "I just want to open the can of whoopass" feeling. But I bury it knowing it would cost me more in the long run.

I hope more people start cycling…the only way they’ll “get it” I suppose. Otherwise I’m always in defensive mode when in traffic [and my heart rate shows it].

·
Registered
262 Posts
I find it hard to believ myself. Girl doesn't hit you but you smash her mirror with a big powerfist? You don't fall with the force form your massive powerstrike and she just lets you go after you smash her mirror?

Experience say she would have called the cops and watched your from a distance till they arrive and charge you with road rage etc.

Doesn't make sense! Even if she did try to nudge you, she'd lie to the cops in anger after you destroyed her mirror.

I dunno, I say pics or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
sounds like the OP is at fault for not taking the lane nor going to the front, and takes it out on the motorist that did nothing wrong besides not give him the entire road.

and we wonder why people hate us?

good job OP!

Chad

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
OldZaskar said:
I stopped 3 cars back from the red light. Then came the 4th car - slowly came up beside me - I was 18" from the white line. The light turned green, I started to roll, the Accord passed me 3" from me - the mirror would've hit me if I hadn't moved. She (the driver) was clearly making a point: "The road is for cars. I will not move left a single inch"

Did you know, a downward "hammer fist" will obliterate an Accord side view mirror. She does now.
Wow- you only got sh*t from one person (so far).
No matter- all of us have had our share of crap from vengeful motorists. I had a run-in w/ a douchebag in a Bimmer yesterday.

I applaud your actions, sir!
GetReal said:
...pics or it didn't happen
Puh-leeeze- do you take pics while in the midst of an altercation in an intersection?
Yeah, didn't think so.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Way to be the bigger man OP. Oh wait you're worse than the driver cause you damaged some property. Now she will always have it out for any cyclist, great job!

·
Registered
262 Posts
RRRoubaix said:
No matter- all of us have had our share of crap from vengeful motorists. I had a run-in w/ a douchebag in a Bimmer yesterday.

Puh-leeeze- do you take pics while in the midst of an altercation in an intersection?
Yeah, didn't think so.

I don't believe the dude smashed her mirror. and if he did, it was stupid!

Did you smash the douchebags mirror? I bet not!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
RRRoubaix said:

Yeah, didn't think so.
how was this motorist vengeful? she probably had no idea what she was even doing (like most motorists)

and he then does damage to her car...what do you think her opinion of the next cyclist she pulls up next to will be?

Chad

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nimitz said:
how was this motorist vengeful? she probably had no idea what she was even doing (like most motorists)
Chad

Like mentioned before, plenty of motorists are ignorant to cyclist. If this did happen, I'd watch my back on the road. If she's young, she more than liklely has a few young buddies that are willingto throw bottles at a cyclist. If she's married to a gorilla and didn't report it, I'm sure he won't have a problem confronting the rider once he identifies him from the cellphone pic she took of him.

You put yourself in danger.:(

·
Registered
262 Posts
The more I think about this, the more the cyclist is at fault. He was lined up near the shoulder/white line 18 inches in. If there was shoulder or a bike lane, he should have been there OR he should have taken the lane not allowing the car to pull on his side. He set himself up for the ignorant to cycling motorist.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should've added that there were 7 of us - kind of bunched up behind that 3rd car; clearly a small pack of riders blinking tail lights - very visible; definitely toward the right side of the road but NO WAY was there room for this woman's car. Her passenger side (probably driver side too) window was halfway down. The guys were yelling "Hey Hey Hey", "Watch out", etc. She just stared forward.

The light turned green. I started to go; looked left and her bumper was inches from my knee - this meant the mirror was about to smack me in the hip. So, I moved right and took out the mirror.

I fully expected her to stop - and hopefully call the police. This would've been an easy one. Nope. She honked her horn and sped off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This angry roadie crap is amazing. I can't fathom how a group of people can complain about how drivers don't respect them and yet simultaneously do everything they possibly can to sabotage their own reputation with the general public.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm sorry, in no place in the original post do I see where the driver nudged you. Maybe that is why nudge was placed in quotations. The driver came too close possibly, but she didn't nudge you. If I tried to hit every car that "nudged" me in the way you describe I would be too busy hitting cars to ride. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yeah, actually when I first responded I thought you meant she bumped you. So maybe a pure verbal attack would have gotten the point across. Would you have taken out the mirror if there weren't 6 other people with you? Hard to say, I guess, I wasn't there....

·
Registered
308 Posts
i like it. i usually go for the open hand smack to the roof or side of the car. if they are that close that i can reach out and hit the car, they are too close. the law says (at least where i am) that motorists have to yeild 3 feet to cyclists. people in cars need to realize that cyclists are allowed to be on the road and don't have to ride on the sidewalk or the breakdown lane.

heck we had a lady last week pull in front of our group (about 60 of us), pull over and get out of here car and stand in the middle of the lane with her feet and arms extended like a big X. almost caused a huge wreck. should have stopped, grabbed her keys out of the car and chucked them in the woods. i guess this is the not first time she did it either, i missed it the fist time, but if shes does it again, things will be different.

so good on the OP

·
Registered
96 Posts
ive been smacked by a halftons sideview once... chased em down in traffic... then gave the ******* (he had a mullet!!!) a piece of my mind (put the beer down and learn how to drive man.. what if i was 5 years old and rolled under your truck?? kinda rant) and showed the bruise that actually matched his mirror... nothing physical..

another buncha kids in mom n dad`s minivan kept running their mouths.. slowing traffic behind em till they sped up... to the red light 50 yards up.. did you know i can sprint behind a minivan stoplight to stoplight and scare 6 teens?? neither did i lol.. at the 3rd lilght.. the side door got openned and a good stern (WTF are you doing.. trying to get me hurt with 20 cars stuck behind u doing 30 in a 50 zone getting mad?? some of em are bound to just rip past and to high hell about the guy on a bike) then slam the door shut.. yank the cell out and let em think im reporting a dangerous driver... wonder if mom n dad noticed junior looking a little sketched out when the minivan got home...

... and yes it felt good.. but yes i feel like i went too agressively on both counts

my point?? no need to ever break stuff... hit people... cuz you never know what they just went thru that day.. if their carrying.. or their state of mind.. or even whom they know.. talk man.. TALK!!! like were all doing now...

edited for the last 2 lines

1 - 20 of 77 Posts