Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Skinny Legged XC MTB geek
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She who must be obeyed and I were headed off for our annual weekend at a remote Arizona B&B, but it was a gorious, 65 degree day and there was going to be a 46.5 mile stretch of pavement winding up and down through some incredible, saguaro studded desert mountains along the way. My buddy agreed to drive the SUV to the B&B, then double back 6 miles of dirt road to meet me at the end of the pavement about 2 hrs, 20 minutes later. The logistics worked perfectly.

The ride had some good climbing near the beginning when I was fresh, gaining 1,000 feet, up a 10%+ grade, losing about 500 ft, and back up again. The descents in this section were also over 10%, so I got to increase my previous max mph from 45 to 48 on some nice curves with zero traffic and smooth pavement. There were some light, gusty crosswinds to make it even more interesting.

Miles 12-31 passed an enormous open pit copper mine, and then through a series of old mining towns. I crossed the Gila River at Winkelman at mile 31, and started climbing up the San Pedro River Valley for about 10 miles before turning left onto the lonely Aravaipa Road until I ran out of pavement in another 5 miles.

Lucking out with shuttle support made for a terrific opportunity. I'll be looking for more of those on future weekend trips.

Sorry I didn't take any pics.

·
Registered
426 Posts
pedalAZ said:
She who must be obeyed and I were headed off for our annual weekend at a remote Arizona B&B, but it was a gorious, 65 degree day and there was going to be a 46.5 mile stretch of pavement winding up and down through some incredible, saguaro studded desert mountains along the way. My buddy agreed to drive the SUV to the B&B, then double back 6 miles of dirt road to meet me at the end of the pavement about 2 hrs, 20 minutes later. The logistics worked perfectly.

The ride had some good climbing near the beginning when I was fresh, gaining 1,000 feet, up a 10%+ grade, losing about 500 ft, and back up again. The descents in this section were also over 10%, so I got to increase my previous max mph from 45 to 48 on some nice curves with zero traffic and smooth pavement. There were some light, gusty crosswinds to make it even more interesting.

Miles 12-31 passed an enormous open pit copper mine, and then through a series of old mining towns. I crossed the Gila River at Winkelman at mile 31, and started climbing up the San Pedro River Valley for about 10 miles before turning left onto the lonely Aravaipa Road until I ran out of pavement in another 5 miles.

Lucking out with shuttle support made for a terrific opportunity. I'll be looking for more of those on future weekend trips.

Sorry I didn't take any pics.
I'm from Peoria,Arizona stuck in Toledo,Ohio for now. Your route doesn't sound familiar,where is Winkelman?
I haven't seen 65 degrees in months.

·
Skinny Legged XC MTB geek
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winkelman

tmotz said:
I'm from Peoria,Arizona stuck in Toledo,Ohio for now. Your route doesn't sound familiar,where is Winkelman?
I haven't seen 65 degrees in months.
US 60 is the highway running east from Mesa and Apache Junction through Superior, Miami, and Globe, before splitting northeast to Show Low and east to Safford and the NM border.

Ray, Kelvin, Kearny, Hayden and WInkelman are all little mining towns on the "as crows fly" line between the Superior/Globe environs and Tucson in the Galiuro Mountains.

·
Registered
426 Posts
pedalAZ said:
US 60 is the highway running east from Mesa and Apache Junction through Superior, Miami, and Globe, before splitting northeast to Show Low and east to Safford and the NM border.

Ray, Kelvin, Kearny, Hayden and WInkelman are all little mining towns on the "as crows fly" line between the Superior/Globe environs and Tucson in the Galiuro Mountains.
That explains why I didn't know where Winkelman was, I lived on the other side of the valley. I haven't been back in over 9 years and have heard the valley has grown so much.I should take a trip back but may be disappointed in all the growth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.