Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a 35 mile ride with my local cycling group and had my first tip over with clipless pedals. I thought for sure my first incedent would be at an intersection, but it wasn't. I was going up a steep hill on a paved path that had some debris from the trees on it. My back wheel spun out from under me and I couldn't get out of the pedals. Scraped the back of my leg on the big sprocket, drew a good amount of blood. but a little water to wash out the wounds and I was back in the saddle.

· Registered
103 Posts
I had my first about six weeks ago. I took a nice fall at an intersection. I guess in a weird sorta way I was glad it happened, everyone told me it would. It's definetly made me sharper and more alert. One thing I noticed though.....road rash takes a LONG time to heal. Damn.

· What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
thats not too bad at all, I would say most experienced riders would have ended up in a fall there! - when its a surprise like what happened to you its more about reaction/luck to not end up on the ground.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
glad you're okay.

what are the chances of damage to the bike on tipping over while clipped in? i'm about to pick up my first carbon bike w/ LOOK style clipless pedals.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
hontors said:
I had my first about six weeks ago. I took a nice fall at an intersection. I guess in a weird sorta way I was glad it happened, everyone told me it would. It's definetly made me sharper and more alert. One thing I noticed though.....road rash takes a LONG time to heal. Damn.
Go here for road rash healing.

http://www.freewheel.com/mvw/cure.htm

· Registered
408 Posts
Had mine a few days ago and it was in a intersection. Luckily there were no cars excpet for the lady and her kids who pulled a u-turn to see if I was okay. I was preparing to turn left at the light, unclipped my left foot, but apparently was leaning too far to the right, all of a sudden I started to lean right, by the time I realized I was going down it was too late. I was more worried about damaging my bike. I came away unscathed, but tore a corner of my saddle...that really ticked me off more than me falling:) From now on im going to try and get in the habit of unclipping both feet.

· Registered
408 Posts
Fell again yesterday:mad2: I was able to get off but I twisted my shifter/brake assembly and thought I bent it...I was furious. Everything worked fine. I called my LBS once I got a signal and they said to take two hands and try to move it back and that I probably didn't bend anything.....they were right.

I was un-clipped on both pedals ready to get off and I think of the cleat was still engaged a little of caught on something and I lost my balance. I think the main reason I fell was because I was tired. I have read on here that when you push too hard or are too tired that is when accidents happen. I went 80 miles on a flat rail trail and my fall happened on the way back. I hope this is my last fall at least for the remainder of the season.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
skyliner1004 said:

what are the chances of damage to the bike on tipping over while clipped in? .
Very little. Don't worry about it. Usually the worst that happens is levers moved or scratched a little, or bar tape damages.

BTW, the OP's crash could have happened with toe straps, or even plain pedals. A sudden washout like that can put you down in a fraction of a second. Actually, from his description it sounds like he did get at least his right foot out, not in time to prevent a fall, but in time to get his leg in the way of the chainring (you can't do that while clipped in). So, ironically, he might have suffered less if he hadn't gotten out at all.

I was un-clipped on both pedals ready to get off
Most experienced riders get in the habit of unclipping only one pedal, and always the same side, until they're fully stopped. That way, the whole motion becomes instinctive, including leaning the bike the right way so you don't fall toward the clipped side. Leaving one foot in also gives you one secure place to stand on the bike, so you're not balanced on the seat with no lower anchor point. If you're not going to get off the bike you leave the other foot clipped in and stand on one foot, so you're ready to take off again.

· Registered
105 Posts
It happens to everyone, I was at the end of the bike section of a triathlon this weekend and they were dropping right and left. Sometimes nothing works , although that usually happens to me on a mountain bike in the mud.
FWIW while I usually unclip my right foot at stops (habit), I sometimes use my left foot to even up wear on my knees and pedals after developing a sore right knee on a 2 day from all of that unclipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.