Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was really nervous. i was told it would be intervals today. yesterday my legs were rattling i was so nervous. I ate and ate and ate some more. i woke up this morning had a good breakfast and listened to panama by van halen. it motivates me. im also used to riding with my ipod so i tried to get some music in before i left. when i got to the meeting spot i noticed all the guys and got nervous and passed hoping they wouldnt notice me. i stopped and said "kyle cmon do your best itll be fun" i went back. im glad i did......

i told them "hi im kyle ive been riding 2 years but this is my first group ride do you all mind if i hang at the back im very nervous and i dont want to cause a crash by mistake and hurt someone." they had no problem with that."
we were told it would be a warmup which was far followed by 5 laps leading to 2 climbs finishing off with sprints. they kept looking at me noticing i was in toe clips so i had to give the story a million times im buying new equipment but ill do my best to keep up. there was 13 of us i think 8 of them were on the pro mazur coaching/wheels of bloor team.
i kept up alright my legs felt great i hung at the back had trouble keeping a straight line concentrating on some distance so i wouldnt overlap a wheel. the pace would pickup and id say to myself" dont get dropped" they kept looking back at me either to see if i was still there or because they were nervous of a newbie behind them. when they shifted so did i. one man was nice enough to tell me,"shift to your big chain ring" i rode the big one for 2 hours and i never use the big one.
the coach told me i was doing well the warmup pace was 40 km an hour and that i didnt look like i was having trouble. i still felt good. 2 hours later after the 3rd hill repeat which was about a 5 km lap i got dropped. i tried so hard to catch them .
i was nervous the whole time, scared but happy, excited a million emotions. how do i earn the respect of these guys? should i do some reading on learning how to pick the pace up. i always ride solo. i thought i was fast before, i went faster today. my legs are killing me.

sorry its so long, thanks for the advice on here everyone everything i learn on here i took it all in. just wanted to share my experience!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sounds like a great time and it seems as though you did great. A lot of your improvement will come from learning to ride better in a paceline. Don't sweat it. Just keep showing up and see if you can stay with them longer each week. Good luck man!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
My first ride was a charity ride with a lot of older (30-40y.o)) riders. I thought I was going to be hanging with smarter riders with age. Turns out every mistake I was wary doing myself, they ended up doing: pointlessly overtaking early (definitely wasn't a pace line formation...let alone a race) to just lead slowly, braking abruptly, neglecting the organizer's guidlelines, annoyingly swooped on descents just to get dropped immediately at the base of a climb.

There were riders of that bunch who were smarter than me, and rode better/faster than me in what was the leading "aggressive" group. Ironically(?) it was the ones with more grey hair...

I bumped nobody, provoked no close calls, was not called-out for being a noob, etc. I assume a Cat5 race would be much rougher than this, but I'm still surprised that there are so many seemingly-more experienced riders than me who ride like...crap.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there was a guy i kept watching out for his chain was rattling so i made sure i stayed away from him., he would also brake on decents which ticked me off cause it slowed me down. i could have done alot of pulling at the front but thought i would be safe and smart. holding a line is a lot easier than it looks

·
Registered
39 Posts
To get their respect justkeep showing up no matter what. It may seem like a long road (no pun intended), but you'll get there ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts