Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out for a ride today and had my first negative experience with a driver. I was close to the shoulder and this woman almost ran me off the road. After she passed, she slowed down in front of me and then gave ME the finger. I didn't get too upset until I came up to her when she was getting out of her car. I asked her what her problem was and she just gave me this smart azz look, which was when I lost my temper slightly and called her a not so nice name. I feel she deserved that one.

I've been riding just over a year. 1500 miles without incident, until today. The best part is, I know where she lives. I'll be sure to give her the one finger wave any time I see her. And before anyone asks, she's NOT good looking!

Just wanted to share.

Erik

·
Registered
96 Posts
Though I understand your frustration, and I have done similar, her smug look means that she already doesn't like us much. The better reaction would have to told her how her actions were against the law, and that she should respect your right to be on the road, just like you do hers.
:thumbsup:

Reactions: Dave Cutter

·
Banned
697 Posts
I had a couple of drivers blast their horn at me when I crossed a high speed parkway, with a bike trail crossing the parkway (Bronx River Parkway, Scarsdale, NY) and I was ready to go at them but they were gone. It is best to not say anything to people or get into a confrontation. People carry guns and if it becomes heated you can get shot. It happens all the time. It is Road Rage and is very common. Use force only when you are provoked, don't look to escalate the situation.

·
Hold on I'm watching this
360 Posts
The best thing to do is to smile and wave nicely, it really freaks people out when I catch them at a light and thank them for being such an excellent driver. The more pissed they get, the nicer I get, it is a great way to practice tolerance and patience, plus it is funny as hell. I just got a gopro so hopefully I will have some footage to share soon.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If someone fuc#s with me, I call the cops and have the police talk with the @ssholes. The more poeple get away with endangering bikers, the more they will do it. Another reason I call the cops immediatly, is because the type of person to fuc# with a biker is the type of person to carry a gun. If someone is messing with you, call the cops. After a person wearing a uniform speaks with them, I'm guessing they'll think twice before messing with a biker.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Though I understand your frustration, and I have done similar, her smug look means that she already doesn't like us much..........
+1
We are all only human. The same human failures that caused the motorist to "flip the bird" are what caused the OP to call names. BOTH are normal... although immature human reactions... and everyone makes those mistakes.. [very rarely] in the heat of the moment.

However... yelling names and making gestures isn't legal, safe, or smart behavior. Still considering such action AFTER your ride... in the comfort of your home... isn't good. What would you think of some other cyclist considering criminal, destructive, or harassing behavior right now... against your Mother, Wife, Daughter, Sister, first grade teacher?

1500 miles is pretty new to cycling. It could be that you just don't have the composure required for cycling in traffic. You may want to consider restricting your cycling to a bicycle path system... where you don't interact with motorists.

I wish safe travels for all my fellow cyclist... I really do. If you can't let the actions of an aggravated motorist roll off your back and continue on enjoying your ride... cycling with traffic may not be your best choice of a sport... IMHO.

But I am sure you can over-come the fear (it's fear that causes the rage) involved with cycling so close to cars. Learn to understand the risks... and discard the fear.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I like to chalk it up to someone is having a bad day. On my commute home the other day I came across some road construction. The "road work ahead" sign was in the bike lane, so I looked over my shoulder, saw a car far enough back and went around and back into the bike lane. A few seconds later the driver laid on his horn. I caught up to him at a light a short time later and he started yelling that I needed to stay in the bike lane. I asked him if he had seen the big orange sign in the bike lane. He said that he did but I still needed to stay in the bike lane. I told him that Florida Law gives me the right to take the lane when the bike lane is unsafe, and maybe he should read the drivers manual before he drives on our roads. After all driving is a privilege , not a right. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1
We are all only human. The same human failures that caused the motorist to "flip the bird" are what caused the OP to call names. BOTH are normal... although immature human reactions... and everyone makes those mistakes.. [very rarely] in the heat of the moment.

However... yelling names and making gestures isn't legal, safe, or smart behavior. Still considering such action AFTER your ride... in the comfort of your home... isn't good. What would you think of some other cyclist considering criminal, destructive, or harassing behavior right now... against your Mother, Wife, Daughter, Sister, first grade teacher?

1500 miles is pretty new to cycling. It could be that you just don't have the composure required for cycling in traffic. You may want to consider restricting your cycling to a bicycle path system... where you don't interact with motorists.

I wish safe travels for all my fellow cyclist... I really do. If you can't let the actions of an aggravated motorist roll off your back and continue on enjoying your ride... cycling with traffic may not be your best choice of a sport... IMHO.

But I am sure you can over-come the fear (it's fear that causes the rage) involved with cycling so close to cars. Learn to understand the risks... and discard the fear.
You couldn't be more wrong here. I have NO problem riding in traffic. I live in rural central PA and we don't have bike paths. I've had many instances where drivers have cut me close, cut in front of me, almost run me down. No big deal. It comes with the territory. I've had 18 wheelers so close I could count the driver's whiskers. This woman was different. She tried to run me off the road then got in front of me, slowed down, and flipped me off. In hindsight, I don't feel bad for confronting her. She deserved it. She was the aggressor and fits the description of what she was called.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
You couldn't be more wrong here. I have NO problem riding in traffic. I live in rural central PA and we don't have bike paths. I've had many instances where drivers have cut me close, cut in front of me, almost run me down. No big deal. It comes with the territory. I've had 18 wheelers so close I could count the driver's whiskers. This woman was different. She tried to run me off the road then got in front of me, slowed down, and flipped me off. In hindsight, I don't feel bad for confronting her. She deserved it. She was the aggressor and fits the description of what she was called.
Honestly you probably should have filed charges for assault. Nothing would come of it of course but it would then be on the records for when she does kill someone.

I probably would not take the time either, but I think it is the right thing to do.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
The OP should have told her that he has a "helmet of justice" and to watch out, next time he won't be afraid to use it!

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
my SOP is to wave at jerky motorists who honk or show aggressiveness. they usually want to provoke a reaction and an exaggerated 'friendly' wave really messes with their minds.

try it, it's kinda fun.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Four words.

1- Pee
2- Disc
3- Mail
4- Slot

Problem solved.or at least you will feel better.
My favorite form of vengeance.

Must spread rep. Damn.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.