but on the last hill i had to stop

my legs were gone

i felt awful

i will never stop again

·
Registered
232 Posts
You Bonked

Make sure you eat, drink, and stay off the rev limiter (ie Max Heart Rate) for extended periods during your ride.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

i thought that i ate enough

a snickers, 1 hammer gel, a banana and i had a camel back and

a water bottle for water

sounds like i need to eat more

but how much for a ride of 3.5 or 4 hours?

i'am going to do the same ride this weekend

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
that sounds like enough food / water for me, but I'm fit and used to doing long rides in the heat.

if you're not, no amount of food / water will help. sometimes it's just a question of fitness, miles in your legs, and being used to the workload.

·
Registered
232 Posts
One water bottle for 66 miles?

Sounds like you ate plenty and got dehydrated

Should consider drinking a bottle per hour under normal circumstances...more if its hot. Plan your rides with places to refill or bring money to but at the gas-n-sip along the way

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys

i am fairly or even very fit for a 51 yrs

i have been riding pretty hard (for me) this summer

started riding after years off the bike i have about 800 miles on my bike

i have been doing at least 100 miles a week for the last 4 weeks

i am training for my first century maybe in 2 weeks

so if i ate enough and had enough water maybe i was just tired

i didn't sleep well the night befor

and the day before i worked 8 hrs in 90* heat building a deck

lucky me i am a contractor

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
tired is a reason not an excuse......keep that in mind....

you may have been dehydrated from work the day before...most people do not drink enough, particularly at work.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
On long rides, Gatorade goes in my cages, and water in my camelbak. After about 20 miles, I drink the gatorade.
I say you did great! You probably did eat enough, and you might have needed to hydrate more before the ride.

·
I love to climb!
2,059 Posts
go do it said:
thanks

i thought that i ate enough

a snickers, 1 hammer gel, a banana and i had a camel back and

a water bottle for water

sounds like i need to eat more

but how much for a ride of 3.5 or 4 hours?

i'am going to do the same ride this weekend
Generally speaking, most riders should take in 200-400 calories an hour, in whatever form-gu, gatorade, bar, fruit. And a liter of water per hour (even more if you're working hard on a hot day). So for a 4 hour hard ride, try to take in about 800-1600 calories and 4 liters of water. Sounds like you might not have gotten enough calories in you...another gel or two may have helped. And get them in early--don't wait until your already thirsty or hungry or over-tired--by then the calories and water will help only so much. I found that out the hard way!

And what others have said about hydrating before the ride. Most people tend not to hydrate enough on a regular basis. Try to get more water in the day before and the day of the ride, and some extra calories in the day or so before a big ride like a century.

And, of course, having worked up to the task is key. If you're doing a 100 miles a week, but doing 15 miles each day, it can still be tough to go do a 66 mile ride all at once. Work your miles up, and length of rides up, you'll be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.