Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got hit with 30 minutes of golf ball sized hail. Broke a window on the garage, damaged the truck, probably need a new roof. I barely got home from work in time to get the car pulled in the garage before it started really coming down. It tore up my patio furniture, too.

=(

My son doesn't remember a bad hail storm like that. In case you've never been in one, it is LOUD. Like you have to YELL to each other in the same room because it is so loud on the roof. Thankfully I wasn't driving home anymore. I hear people on the road I use to get home had car windows broken due to the hail. That would have scared me to death.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, it will be, less the deductidble (separate car deductible from home deductible). I can't remember what the deductibles are... probably 500 on the car and 750 on the house? ish?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Yikes! That's serious hail. I've never been in a storm like that, must be deafening. Good thing you weren't NNC-ing!

Since you're now President of the Lounge, we need to make sure you're safe. :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Austin, TX

We generally do get some hail every spring, but this is the largest I remember in recent years. All the car dealers will have super major hail damage blow out sales now I guess. On top of their super major the economy sucks and we ain't selling squat sales!

My father in law already volunteered to come help us replace the roof so we can skip the deductible. He's good to us like that!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I had hail hit me while I was riding many years ago. Wasn't a pleasant experience at all. It was only about marble size, but still hurt like hell! Maybe that was the fastest I've ever ridden.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
We had some Monday night on the west part of Omaha but thankfully we didn't get hit here.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I never knew how bad hail storms could get until I saw an ex-girlfriend's car. It was totaled.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Good thing you drove to work today.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
I never knew how bad hail storms could get until I saw an ex-girlfriend's car. It was totaled.
Hail causes an average of more than $1 billion of damage per year in the U.S. In one particularly bad month (May 1995) there was over $1.1 billion of damage in the Dallas-Fort Worth area alone. Here's a picturesque example of severe hail damage.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
If anyone was on their bike, that would have been horrific for both person and bike I'm sure.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Case #2 of mysterious damage to someone else's car while you're around. :idea:

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
didnt they hault the giro last year due to a hail storm?

hail sucks to ride in. about the only thing worse is a tornado. at least with hail you can usually find cover.

uzziefly said:
If anyone was on their bike, that would have been horrific for both person and bike I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My boss left work right after I did and got caught in it in a rag-top convertable. Broke her windshield, tore through the rag-top. She had to pop a curb and drive up under the awning of an elementary school to seek shelter. She still seemed shook up this morning when she was telling us about it.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Got one of those about 2 years ago. Some of the hail was the size of oranges.

Do yourself a favor- call yer insurance ASAP about your roof and then call a contractor or it will be december before they can get to your roof.

At least, that was my experience.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is what all the sidewalks and sides of the road look like. The trees really took a beating. it looks very odd, like fall came in spring. Green leaves all over the ground.

Hopefully the street sweepers will come through soon. I'm a little leary to ride with all that junk on the roads.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts