Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need your help!

Two weeks ago I saw a rider (first picture) drop a water bottle on the side of the road in the Pyrenees -- ever the dilligent soul, I picked it up and vowed to return it to him. The problem is -- he was going pretty fast and when I saw him in Paris, he was surrounded by a mob. So, I will be going to Steamboat Springs on Monday and will return the lost item in person... I am a bit worried though as the content of the bottle has somewhat become altered and is now topped with a floating mattress of mold. Not too sure they will let me pass customs with it.... :(

OK, I can't take this story line any further so here is the real backstory;

Next week I will be going off to visit my cousin in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. He is helping to organise a local "Ride for Yellow" fundraising ride for the Livestrong Foundation's work in support of cancer patients and survivors. In return for all of the years that I have hosted my CAT 1 racing phenom of a cousin here in France, he has decided to pay me back by registering me to do a ~25 mile singletrack ride in the bear-ridden outback of central northern Colorado. And he tells me we are going to ride with (as in keep up with) a certain recently re-retired proffessional bike rider.... and that I need back-country evacuation insurance... thanks cuz!!!

See here for details: http://www.ride4yellow.com/

It's a bit surreal since I just watched Armstrong complete his final Tour de France here in Paris and will now be riding with him next week. It's also a bit last minute and though I know that many of you receive similar solicitations for equal or better causes, I am hoping that if you are able, you might consider making a donation towards my $500 fundraising goal for the Livestrong foundation.

Of course, I'll take pictures and the largest donation will get a Lance Armstrong-autographed piece of TDF schwag! (if I can get him to autograph said piece of schwag!)

To donate, see here: http://fundraising.livestrong.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=325373&supid=293461563

Thanks!

And just so you feel you have gotten something immediate in return (besides the warm and fuzzies that comes with any altruistic action), here are some pictures from the Pyrénées!!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
If you stop by Baltimore on your way to Colorado and agree to mow my lawn, I will increase my contrbution. I am sitting here eating breakfast and looking at the lawn, which has not been mowed in three weeks. I was just about to get out the lawn mower when I decided to procrastinate and spend some time on RBR.

Thanks for posting some pics of the trip. Even though I theoretically saw most of the scenery from my bike, I usually was so oxygen deprived from riding that my brain may not have been able to take it all in. :)

Oh, and for those who like Philippe's pink and white kit, this might be the last time you will see it. After Philippe goes to Colofado and drinks the LA kool-aid, I expect to see him in a full Livestrong kit next year. :eek:

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha! Baltimore is the one city that United has not routed me through as a way of thanking me for piling up all those ferequent flier miles! Paris-Dulles-Cleveland-Denver-Steamboat Springs.. I mean c'mon, could they not have squeezed in one more stop-over?!

And mowing the lawn??? That's what sheep are for... well, that and obstructing the occasional bike race and traffic!! Trade up those ducks for somerthing more ovine, or at least caprine.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
You are going to like Steamboat. It kind of looks like the fourth photo up above. Except for the McMansions, and the condos, and the ski runs, and the..

Ok it doesn't look much like that, except it's a long valley between mountains too. Enjoy, best luck on the dirt, don't hurt yourself.

//Oh, and remember, the VALLEY is at 6700' (2200 m) and the mountains go up from there. Hehe

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm packing (no, not <i>blood packing</i>, though the thought had crossed my mind :) ) for the trip right now. Nothing getting checked (see itinerary above if you are asking why) so I'm a little tight on space right now. Do I bring extra underwear or the third lung???? Kind'of torn between the two.... :)

Yep, I'm aware of the altitude... I lived in Silverton, CO way back in the day. I still remember feeling as weak as a newborn baby when I set out for a run on my first night there! Somehow I have managed to completely f!*k up my altitude training regimen this year -- I've done all the big races/rides already and now I'm heading to high altitude for 2 weeks... it's a bit like trying to put your pants on after you've already put on your shoes!!

Oh, well.

I have penned in two races for the first week when I get back...heheheh

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey "J.L. Snappity"...

I am almost 100% sure I think I may perhaps sortof know who you might be .... but just in case I am wrong and send the wrong person a thank-you email, I am going to give you a shout-out here!

<i>Merci énormement de ton don!</i>

Philippe

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
philippec said:
Hey "J.L. Snappity"...

I am almost 100% sure I think I may perhaps sortof know who you might be .... but just in case I am wrong and send the wrong person a thank-you email, I am going to give you a shout-out here!

<i>Merci énormement de ton don!</i>

Philippe
It is I of the Quick Coq au Vin :D

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,006 Posts
enjoy Steamboat!!

say hi to my friends from MOOTS!
It really is spectacular riding up there. Rent an oxygen bottle so you can sleep at night :thumbsup:
if you get the chance, check out the hot springs at Strawberry Park.:cool:

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
MarkS said:
Oh, and for those who like Philippe's pink and white kit, this might be the last time you will see it. After Philippe goes to Colofado and drinks the LA kool-aid, I expect to see him in a full Livestrong kit next year. :eek:

Philippe will never be the same without his pink and white Hello Kitty kit. :(

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No worries there OEH -- Hello Kitty racer will go on to grace the peleton next year --"can I has my climbing legs back?? oktarrigatobye!"

Just a little bit unsure of the reception this most awesome kit will get from the locals in Steamboat!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts