Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in June.

I have to go to SA for about 2 weeks for work. My boss wants us to take our bikecycles. I am probably flying United.
UPS?
USPS?
They won't let me drive. I have no clue why; it's only a 10 hour voyage.
Anyway, I need some recommendations.
 

·
Just Plain Bitter
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
In saying your boss wants you take bicycles with you, is the company footing the bill? If they are footing the bill why not invest in a cycle case like this one or any other. Then it's checked baggage.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rward325 said:
In saying your boss wants you take bicycles with you, is the company footing the bill? If they are footing the bill why not invest in a cycle case like this one or any other. Then it's checked baggage.
They are flying me there, etc...but they ain;t paying to put the biek on the plane.:cryin:
tough times, economy, etc, etc, etc...
Looking for some/any cost effective method
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
i think i've ridden brevets with this guy. IIRC he's from kentucky.

 

·
Just Plain Bitter
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
Bike as baggage after the cost of the case is about 60-100 bucks. Cost of shipping the bike after disassembly and packing by the bike shop about 60-100 bucks. Bike shop will probably charge 30-40 bucks for disassembly and packing. You can re use the the cycling case in the future if you need to.
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rward325 said:
Bike as baggage after the cost of the case is about 60-100 bucks. Cost of shipping the bike after disassembly and packing by the bike shop about 60-100 bucks. Bike shop will probably charge 30-40 bucks for disassembly and packing. You can re use the the cycling case in the future if you need to.
60-100 each way?:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
JohnHenry said:
60-100 each way?:eek:
I'm flying United to Salt Lake City en route to Moab and their website states that my bike will cost me $175 U.S.each way:eek: How much to get myself there, you ask? $250 Cdn return and I get a bag of pretzels!!!! :cryin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Yeah, the major airlines went up in price for what they are charging people about two years ago. Remember seeing all those 6PM news reports about how people were so upset that they now had to pay extra for regular luggage. Well, it's even worse for bikes. Expect to be really taken to the cleaners at the airport.
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,083 Posts
Depends on the airline but it can be upwards oh 150 each way. Also depends on the case you use but I would look at the measurements of each individual case. Some are oversized and some aren't as far as shipping and can make the difference bewtween 80 dollars each way and finding extra charges on your credit card when you get back.
 

·
corning my own beef
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
jupiterrn said:
Depends on the airline but it can be upwards oh 150 each way. Also depends on the case you use but I would look at the measurements of each individual case. Some are oversized and some aren't as far as shipping and can make the difference bewtween 80 dollars each way and finding extra charges on your credit card when you get back.
Airlines have one flat rate (although it varies between carriers) that will be charged for the bike. I've gotten by as low as $25, as high as $150+. But each airline will see the bike case and charge one flat rate. There is no additional up-charge for over-size, overweight, etc... I've flown with a bike dozens of times, and have never had a carrier measure the case or attempt to make additional charges on top of the flat rate. Since those rates vary so much, it can be worthwhile to do a little research to determine which carriers charge what amount for the bike.

The size of the case (or box) CAN make a difference in shipping charges if you use UPS, USPS, etc. to ship the bike.

If this is going to be a one-time deal, I would probably box and ship the bike. If you anticipate traveling with your bike regularly in the future, it may be worth looking into investing in a bike case.
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,083 Posts
Thats what I wuz saying just not too clearly I guess. Airlines charge you a bunch no matter what size. Shippers charge different depending on size-o-da-case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
JustTooBig said:
Airlines have one flat rate (although it varies between carriers) that will be charged for the bike. I've gotten by as low as $25, as high as $150+. But each airline will see the bike case and charge one flat rate. There is no additional up-charge for over-size, overweight, etc...

Not true. I got hammered for two separate fees last time I flew. One for the bike, and then for the contents being over the weight limit. I'm certain that the airlines can double charge you. Otherwise, people would be getting the absolute biggest bike case they can find and pack every single piece of luggage they have in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,147 Posts
how bout rent a bike from one of the RBR memebers in SA. Gotta be cheaper than paying fr8 and whats the point of having a community like RBR if you can't rent an old beater for a couple of weeks.
 

·
corning my own beef
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
rook said:
Not true. I got hammered for two separate fees last time I flew. One for the bike, and then for the contents being over the weight limit. I'm certain that the airlines can double charge you. Otherwise, people would be getting the absolute biggest bike case they can find and pack every single piece of luggage they have in there.
Fair enough. It's never happened to me, and I've flown with a few different carriers and specifically questioned several other carriers about "double-charging" -- none did. But of course, I didn't research EVERY commercial carrier out there. What carrier was it that double-charged you?

My bike/case commonly weighs 55 lb or so, since I also pack helmet, floor pump, tools, shoes, clothes, etc.. in the case along with the bike. In the last couple of years or so (the time period when the carriers seemed to start making a concerted effort to come up with extra charges for every little thing), I have flown with my bike many times with that overweight case without incurring any extra fees beside the flat rate for bikes. Maybe I've just been lucky to avoid the carriers that hit you with the extra fee.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
JohnHenry said:
in June.

I have to go to SA for about 2 weeks for work. My boss wants us to take our bikecycles. I am probably flying United.
UPS?
USPS?
They won't let me drive. I have no clue why; it's only a 10 hour voyage.
Anyway, I need some recommendations.

First, don't fly on United. Its bicycle charge is $175 each way. http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52906,00.html#bicycle If there is any way that you can fly Southwest, that is the way to go. Bicycles fly on Southwest for $50 each way.

Second, if you don't have a case for your bike, see if you can borrow or rent one from your LBS or a friend.

Some people have posted above about being double charged for bikes (i.e., the bike charge plus a charge for additional weight). I was hit with this once on American. Since then I make sure that my bike + case is less than 50 pounds. Given that a Trico Iron Case weighs 31 pounds empty, that means that you should only pack your bike in the case. All of the stuff that I used to put in the case (pump, pedals, shoes, etc.) I now pack in my other piece of checked luggage.
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,611 Posts
nobody's mentioned Fedex so far. I dunno about now, but for a long time they were the favorite shipper of many ebay peoples. check into it.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
If you're going to be traveling with a bike regularly it might pay to invest in S&S couplers. Then you can take your bike and only be charged the regular charge for your first piece of luggage, usually $15. I have been traveling with an S&S coupled bike for years. Got bummed when the airlines started charging for luggage and especially more for the second piece. It's still cheaper than UPS or paying the outrageous charge airlines make you pay for a full size bike case. I'll be taking my bike to Denver in May for a short visit to Ft. Collins. I can get all my clothes and my gear in the bike box and my carry on so it's only going to cost me $15 to take my bike.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top