Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
McQuaid: Hamilton facing lifetime ban; four years possible for Ullrich, Basso
JULY 01 - The head of cycling's governing body says that Tyler Hamilton could be facing a lifetime ban if links to an alleged blood doping ring in Spain are confirmed. Others, including 1997 Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich (T-Mobile), 2006 Giro d’Italia champion Ivan Basso (CSC) and T-Mobile's Oscar..

http://velonews.com/news/fea/10201.0.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tyler

I have no doubt that Tyler was a doper, but he is currently serving a two year ban per the rules at the time he was caught. I don't understand how they can nail him again for this, what is he doping while being suspended? This seems like getting busted twice for the safe offense.

What is also BS, is that they will not provide the named riders with the documentation of the evidence. I can handle the suspension or riders, but they should be provided the evidence. This could really blow up in a number of faces if some of these guys are found to not be guilty.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
goose127 said:
I have no doubt that Tyler was a doper, but he is currently serving a two year ban per the rules at the time he was caught. I don't understand how they can nail him again for this, what is he doping while being suspended? This seems like getting busted twice for the safe offense.

What is also BS, is that they will not provide the named riders with the documentation of the evidence. I can handle the suspension or riders, but they should be provided the evidence. This could really blow up in a number of faces if some of these guys are found to not be guilty.
Hamilton was suspended for a particular offense, homologous blood doping. In this case he would appear to be involved in many other forms of doping as well. So not exactly double jeopardy. If I murder someone and go to prison, and then the authorities find out I raped someone as well, do I not get charged with rape because I've already been convicted of murder?

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Hamilton was suspended for a particular offense, homologous blood doping. In this case he would appear to be involved in many other forms of doping as well. So not exactly double jeopardy. If I murder someone and go to prison, and then the authorities find out I raped someone as well, do I not get charged with rape because I've already been convicted of murder?
Nice try, but you aren't really making sense. In that case he (and anybody else)would get a lifetime ban if it was discovered that they'd used epo *and* steriods. Basso and Ulrich and probably all the rest would be out for life as well.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I say...

lifetime ban for anyone doping for all sports. Baseball, football, everything!! Whether your a high school athelete or pro. Ban their arse and never let them back in again!!! Yeah, it's harsh, but look at football and baseball here in the US. You get a slap on the wrist and that's it. So your young atheletes think big deal, what are they going to do to me?

Tyler ought be banned because he's just plain out stupid! What does he want, a photo of a needle in his arm? He'd probably say, well, that's my twin, he actually lived! I used to be a huge Tyler fan, but now I truly see what a dishonest person he is. David Miller got busted, but at least he faced the music!

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
"Nice try, but you aren't really making sense. In that case he (and anybody else)would get a lifetime ban if it was discovered that they'd used epo *and* steriods."

Of course it makes sense. He was suspended for 2 years for homologous blood doping at the Vuelta. If what's been reported is accurate, he's also guilty of EPO, HGH, autologous blood doping, etc. on several other occasions. Others seem to be argueing that because of his Vuelta suspension he gets a pass on these other instances of doping. He won't, and since any one of these instances would constitute a second offense he will not be banned for life.

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
My 2 cents...he doesn't deserve any redemption...maybe if he would've just come clean and admitted it I'd feel for the guy. Millar deserves every bit the second chance he's getting...and at least King Richard cried on tv. :)

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
I can only see leniency for those who admit there mistakes and cooperate by naming their supplier and others involved in the doping.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that they deserve the ban, if action isn't taking agaisnt people who blood dope, use EPO .etc then they're just making way for others to do the same. What fun is watching a race if the people arn't doing it on there own strength? it just ruins it for the racers who arn't doping and the fans.

G

·
MikeBiker said:
I can only see leniency for those who admit there mistakes and cooperate by naming their supplier and others involved in the doping.
I agree. The cancer that doping is must be killed, that or it's victim (cycling in this case) will die.

I cringe as I type this, but I think that having a couple more sponsors pull out would really get everyone's attention. Hit em where it hurts, as usual, in the wallet. If sponsors pull out over doping charges, then the team managers and doctors will do their own tests to make sure no athlete is doping.

Yes, I know that pressure from sponsors for exposure is part of the problem, but I don't have a better idea - if some else does, great!

G

·
Some of the records date back to 2004. The question becomes then - why smash Tyler, but let Valverde off the hook since the data on him was 'older and less convincing' (ie, no bags of blood)????

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
questions

bas said:
:idea: Tyler Hamilton is obviously still doping if Saiz had bags of blood for him.

His twin can't dissappear now!

How do you reach the conclusion that the evidence is tied to doping after 2004? Why would he continue to transfuse blood if he's not competing on the professional level?

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
zyzbot said:
It is not double jeopardy. Double jeopardy is being tried twice for the same offense. Separate punishments for multiple offenses are permissible.

How do we know that the evidence is ties him with Dr Fuentes isn't simply in regards to homologous blood doping he was caught for in 2004?

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:

It's already been verified that the Dr Fuentes connected doping activity was seperate from or in addition to the homologous blood transfusions in 2004?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
rocco said:
How do we know that the evidence is ties him with Dr Fuentes isn't simply in regards to homologous blood doping he was caught for in 2004?
It's actually from '02-'03.

From Cyclingnews:

Tyler Hamilton, however could face a life-long ban, as the Spanish Anti-Doping brigade has sent a 300-page thick report to the UCI yesterday. "If he is guilty, it would be Tyler Hamilton's second doping offence," the UCI president added, as the Fuentes files dealing with Hamilton referred to alleged doping practices in 2002-2003. "That could mean a life-long ban."

According to El Pais, the documents seized by the Spanish civil guard during Operacion Puerto show that Hamilton was not as innocent as he claimed. It's alleged that he not only received blood transfusions, but also a full doping program involving EPO, anabolics, growth hormone and IGF-1.

The paper claims that among the files of Dr Eufemiano Fuentes and Jose Merino Batres, are some details of Hamilton's financial dealings in 2002 and 2003, including a copy of a fax sent to his wife Haven to a hotel in Gerona, where he lived. On the fax, it's shown that he had paid €31,200 with €11,840 still owing: €35,000 was for the medical program, and €8,040 was for the medication.

The doctors' files allegedly consisted of two pages. In the first, a calendar of the racing season is laid out from November to October, with the races that the rider wanted to do well in being marked along with the medication that he should take. The markings were in the so-called "Sanskrit of Eufemiano", a notation system of substances, doses, and procedures. Before the 2003 season, Dr Fuentes indicated that Hamilton should start taking EPO from December 21, with 2000 units daily, up until Christmas Eve, and then on alternate days until January 9. On the 14th of January, before his first training camp with CSC, he was instructed to withdraw blood. On January 24, he was to start with anabolics. In March, after racing had started, he was to take HMG - a hormone used by menopausal women - to mask the anabolics, as well as taking growth hormone and insulin.

The second page of the file allegedly showed that he won Liège-Bastogne-Liège six days after a double transfusion of blood, won the Tour de Romandie shortly afterwards, and prepared for the Tour by not racing in May and taking anabolics and EPO. He then raced only the Dauphiné Libéré in June - completely anonymously, and didn't even start the final stage. At the time, he claimed to be suffering from stomach problems all week, but El Pais alleged that according to Dr Fuentes files, it was during another period of blood extraction. In the final lead up to the Tour, he was to take more growth hormone and re-infuse the blood, as well as doing so on the first rest day of the race.

G

·
So the EPO etc was being used mainly to build up blood cell count to withdraw blood, without killing the ability to train, and then adding the blood back in b/4 races? Thus missing the window of detection for EPO be gaining the benefits? So they must have been able to bag him when he would re-infuse blood during the rest day?

Crazy!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Its time...

The only way Hamilton can retain a shred of dignity is to spill his guts. He should confess to his own involvement and rat out every dirty doctor, DS and rider he worked with. Odds are he is never going to be a professional cyclist again. He might as well try to help clean up the sport and his image. If he doesn't he is going down in the books as a cheater and pathological liar.

It seems that getting riders who are caught doping to turn "states evidence" and implicate others who are involved and disclose methods for evading detection would be the best way to get drugs out of the sport. I would even support reducing suspensions for riders who provided useful assistance prosecuting others involved in doping. That tactic worked quite well against the mafia here in the States.

-G

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.