Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
ultimobici said:
Yet he still whines his "innocence"!
God I wish he'd shut up.
Of course he's innocent! We all know it was his "evil twin" that got him in this position. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
another...former...postie.....

Dwayne Barry said:
Cycling4all.com is reporting Hamilton's suspension has been upheld.
not really contrite either, <a href="http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/feb06/feb12newsflash">cyclingnews.com</a> has a quote from his website calling himself an "innocent athlete". it appears he plans on being a testing reform crusader--"My goal is to keep other athletes from experiencing the enormous pain and horrendous toll of being wrongly accused".

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Queen song...

Another one bites the dust?

Although he will eligible to race again in September. I am betting some D3 or D2 will pick him up. He's still got another couple of years though before he can race for the ProTour. Cheater that he is. What is that old saying? Cheat cheat never beat?

·
Registered
133 Posts
He may be guilty, but...

...he followed the rules re his right to an appeal. He (or any athlete) doesn't deserve comments like the following:

"The Panel considered each of the excuses and found each to be completely without merit," Terry Madden, CEO of USADA, said in a press release issued Saturday. "It is sad that Mr. Hamilton resorted to conspiracy theories rather than just accept the consequences of his doping."

I'd have a lot more confidence in the process if the anti-doping authorities would confine themselves to the facts of the case rather than ad hominem attacks on the athletes. A simple "appeal denied" would have sufficed.

And why should anyone "accept the consequences" for anything if they think they are innocent and have a legal right to an appeal? I certainly wouldn't.

Still, the process worked, even though it took a long time. And as I've said before, TH did what he said he would do: fight the ruling with everything he had. And he was found guilty.

End of story, at least until this September, when he can race again, hopefully with all his own blood. If you think about it, all he lost was six months of racing.

It's clearly been shown that doping convictions won't get you thrown out of the pro peloton. Maybe he and David Millar can team up for a few two-man TT's in 2007.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
peter1 said:
It's clearly been shown that doping convictions won't get you thrown out of the pro peloton. Maybe he and David Millar can team up for a few two-man TT's in 2007.
I would actually like to see that, when they served their sentences and are free to ride. I think they'd make a great couple. Unfortunately the two-man TT is a discipline that is almost extinct. :(

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the official ruling. Hamilton certainly appears to be guilty as h*ll, most of his objections were shown to be full of holes and some were pretty silly. Certainly appeared to be grasping for straws. He showed some balls though continuing to do it despite the fact that he knew he was being watched.

http://www.tas-cas.org/en/pdf/Hamilton.pdf

·
Banned
608 Posts
The only B.S. thing about the Hamilton affair is that it has taken more than eighteen months to reach a final decision. What if they would have dismissed the suspension?

If the athlete stops competing after the test announcement then the suspension should start then, not in six months after his national organization has made a decision. And suspensions should be expressed in months of competition, so the off-season doesn't count.

Looks like Hamilton might be applying for the waterboy job at Team United.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Now they say 2 years...

, does that mean really he can compete on a pro tour team after Sept.? Are they using the date before the new UCI rule that he can't compete on a ProTour team? Seems as though they are, and if that's the case, he could finish the year back on Phonak or some other team, but I don't know who would take him. Although David Miller got a ride pretty quick. Although, he was a MAN and ADMITTED he did wrong where as Hamilton will never fess up. I'd admire Tyler more if he'd just be honest. Heck, he's told this story so much, he probably believes it himself now.

What team do you think will pick him up?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Mosovich said:
, does that mean really he can compete on a pro tour team after Sept.? Are they using the date before the new UCI rule that he can't compete on a ProTour team? Seems as though they are, and if that's the case, he could finish the year back on Phonak or some other team, but I don't know who would take him. Although David Miller got a ride pretty quick. Although, he was a MAN and ADMITTED he did wrong where as Hamilton will never fess up. I'd admire Tyler more if he'd just be honest. Heck, he's told this story so much, he probably believes it himself now.

What team do you think will pick him up?
No, 2 years ban from cycling which runs until September but 2 more years until he can ride for a Pro Tour team. Basically it's bye bye TDF hopes. Good riddance to the lying scab!

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Under ACrookedSky said:
The only B.S. thing about the Hamilton affair is that it has taken more than eighteen months to reach a final decision. What if they would have dismissed the suspension?
From the ruling it appears it was Hamilton who requested delays. Alternatively, he could have just accepted the original ruling. He really had no case and appeared to be looking for any kind of excuse. Also if I understood the ruling, they offered him a chance to submit himself to further testing and he declined.

·
Registered
204 Posts
ultimobici said:
No, 2 years ban from cycling which runs until September but 2 more years until he can ride for a Pro Tour team. Basically it's bye bye TDF hopes. Good riddance to the lying scab!
I'm not so sure about that ... the start of his suspension was moved back to the original infraction, which I believe was before the inception of the ProTour. Therefore, the "double suspension time" rule wouldn't have been in effect yet. From the Velonews article:

Under the original suspension, Hamilton would not have been eligible to ride for a ProTour team until April of 2008. Now that the suspension date has been shifted, he might be eligible to ride at that level after September 22 of this year, coincidentally just two days before the start of this year's world road race championship.
We may be seeing Tyler line up in the ProTour before the end of the season.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
No, you're incorrect.

ari said:
I'm not so sure about that ... the start of his suspension was moved back to the original infraction, which I believe was before the inception of the ProTour. Therefore, the "double suspension time" rule wouldn't have been in effect yet. From the Velonews article:

We may be seeing Tyler line up in the ProTour before the end of the season.

Cheers,
Ari
Hamilton cannot ride for a ProTour team for another 2 years after his suspension is up. When he was busted and took suspension from his team, the ProTour had already been organized and incorporated (if you want to look at it that way). He can race again in September, but not for a ProTour team for another 2 years, but that doesn't mean he can't ride the Grand Tours, well, not this year, but possibly in 2007, as the Grand Tours have split from the ProTour and will accept whatever teams they want.

He won't be on a ProTour team until 2008, if at all.

Him and Millar riding a TT together... Yeah, that would be great. Two whining bastards riding together.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Man you guys live off this stuff, always wondered why Maury, Springer and others did so well, this is no different haha.

K

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Isn't Tyler on ....

Springer next week? No, that's Dr. Phil. :D

So if he can't race pro tour, do you think an Amercian D2 team will pick him up? I don't think any team would touch him. Probably a Euro team, but not an Amercian team. How would you as a director explain that to a sponsor. "Uh, I know he got busted, and thinks he's innocent, but you'll get a lot of publicity." Not exactly the kind of publicity I'd want as a sponsor, but hey, you never know.

I think David Millar's honesty "once caught of course" is what saved him. But denying it, well, what can you say?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
From the ruling it appears it was Hamilton who requested delays. Alternatively, he could have just accepted the original ruling. He really had no case and appeared to be looking for any kind of excuse. Also if I understood the ruling, they offered him a chance to submit himself to further testing and he declined.
It appears they wanted to do more testing to see if he really was a chimera and he refused.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts