Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good deal! I just ordered 48 packs for $37.92! I just need to drive to a closest REI store to pick them up when they arrive.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
New to cycling (again) and never needed any supplements since I only recently worked up to 2+ hr. rides...... do you drink this before, during, or after riding? Does it replace normal water or Gatorade during rides, or in addition to?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I normally eat and drink before every ride. My usual ride is around 30 miles w/ 2000+ feet of climb, so eat regularly is essential. I would pop a gel every 40-45 minutes or so and drink every 10-15 minutes, whether I am thirsty or not.

Another alternative to gel is buying Quaker Chewy. You can buy a box of 60 bars for about $12 at Costco. Each bar has about 100 calories and is just big enough to fit in your back pockets.

·
Registered
255 Posts
AvantDale said:
12 packets to a box.<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.pic-host.info/files/encode.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
if (document.referrer) { var ref='?'+encode(document.referrer); } else { var ref=''; }
document.write('
');
//-->
</script>

I got 2 boxes (24) for 20.80 after tax.
sweet deal, like the bars :D

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
Erion929 said:
New to cycling (again) and never needed any supplements since I only recently worked up to 2+ hr. rides...... do you drink this before, during, or after riding? Does it replace normal water or Gatorade during rides, or in addition to?

Most gels typically offer a quick source of carbs and electrolytes...both necessary when riding over an hour or so...

Hammer Heed (just one of hundreds of sports drinks) will offer the same in a drinkable form if you don't want the gels. Some use gels in addition to elec/carb drinks for extra help.

You can take before, during and after ride. If you are going to do just one, I suggest taking a gel about 30 minutes into your ride with a chase of water...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts