Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shoes, water bottle, bike, and me covered in mud. I thought the roads would be dry, but it only takes one bad puddle and I was on the wrong bike. I've decide fenders will be the usual case, not the exception. I like the style of the hammered Honjo's, but are they practical? I'm concerned that 5 lbs of mud, dust, and dead worms will build up on the inner surface and be a pain to clean out. I'm leaning toward smooth Velo-Orange anodized aluminum, but I'd like someone to convince me that the hammered Honjos are better.

· Registered
2,076 Posts
I've had both. The Honjos may be a touch longer but the VOs are just fine. And the price is right. Functionally there's no distinction that I'm aware of. I've decided I like the plainer look of the VOs.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Any fender that keeps the splatter off you is practical. I use cheap planet bike fenders on my commuter since I live in the PNW. There isn't much use trying to keep them clean so I got the black ones. Get the ones that you like the most, enjoy what you ride.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
I've got berthoud stainless steel fenders- they stay shiny on the outside, but they do collect a little mud on the inside every now and then. It's really, really easy to clean them out- pop the wheel off and you can just rub the dirt right out, or just keep the wheel on and hit the fender with a hose. either way, it only takes about a minute per wheel.

I've got to ride through some pretty serious mud before anything even thinks about sticking to the underside of the fenders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.