Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's finally here, my long awaited custom S&S coupled Hampsten Titanio (Moots Vamoots) and I am thrilled with the result. Working with Steve Hampsten has been an absolute pleasure and a Masters class in frame design. Although I thought, and my LBS owner agreed, that I was a candidate for a custom frame (long torso, short legs), I was a little leery of going custom (I was afraid I'd get what I asked for without really knowing what I needed). So for me, working with Steve on this frame was the way to go. He walked me through the relationship of head and seat tube angles as well as explaining the importance of BB drop, front to center and trail in designing my frame. After working with Steve I felt much more likely to get the bike I wanted and needed.
As for the frame itself...art. As all who've owned Moots before me have said, the welds are phenominal; I really don't know how Chris, Jason, Brad and the rest of the Moots team do it. And I am pleased with the little things, like the Hampsten Cinghiale/War Pig vs. Mr. Moots on the rear brake bridge. A truly custom touch by people who obviously love what they do.
Many thanks to those on the forum (Terry, Phat, Alien, Wayne and others) who have helped either knowingly or unknowingly in getting me to this point. A few frame pics for now, updated build pics and details when complete.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Looks great. Congrats.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Very nice. I like the color of the decals, and of course the pink HS is the perfect touch. Build it up quickly so we can see some more piccies.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Welcome aboard

Awesome, once again those Moots boys exceed expectations, dig the warthog too.
I've no doubt you'll cherish it as all Moots owners do. Congrats, you've got a serious piece of art in it's finest form (imho). I agree with Terry on the Pink Ck, put some Ti spacers on it too and hurry up and get her built!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Travel plans

The main reason I decided to get the S&S couplers is that I am a USAF pilot and now and again an opportunity will come along when I really wish I could take a bike with me (had 5 days off in Buenos Aires last year and 48 hrs off in Germany a couple of times) but have limited space for crew baggage. I hope that the ability to put the bike into a 26x26x10 suitcase will increase my chances for squeezing the bike in every now and then. I also usually do RAGBRAI and it'll be nice not to worry about denting/bending anything when the bike case gets "thrown in" with all the others to and from Iowa. Finally, a couple years back I took my bike to France to follow the TdF and while I managed to get it through airports, train stations, etc. the suitcase option would've been really nice.
All that being said, I really struggled with the decision to put couplers on this bike. Was afraid it would destroy the look and affect the ride of what is considered by many as the "perfect" ti frame. In the end the practicality of it (and my inability/unwillingness to invest in a travel bike) led me to go with the couplers and I'm glad I did. Both Andy H (who rides a coupled Hampsten SBTi) and the folks at Moots assured me that the couplers had no effect on either ride quality or frame integrity (Jon C said if either were the case, Moots wouldn't offer them as an option) and based upon my initial ride I would agree that my coupled bike feels the same as the uncoupled demo bike I tried. As for the look of the couplers, to me it is worth it.
Finally, to answer the initial question, in addition to RAGBRAI I plan to attempt this year's Assault on Mt Mitchell and just sent my deposit to Andy H yesterday to reserve a spot for my wife and I on his "Cooking and Cycling" tour in Tuscany. Looks like the new Warthog should get a workout this summer!

SPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts