Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is finally complete. Received my pink CK/CX-Ray/RR 1.1 wheelset from Troy/Ligero over the weekend and have completed the build of my Hampsten Titanio. The pink headset/hubset (in addition to supporting a very worthy cause) is my "homage" to bro Andy's 1988 Giro victory. Only fitting that it should have its debut during this year's Giro.
The frame/bike is everything I had hoped it would be. Steve H designed the frame to be a "fast century" bike at my request, something built to hang with the boys on a fast club ride but provide comfort during an all-day or multi-day (think RAGBRAI) ride too. To get there he modified the stock 58 cm Vamoots geometry: chainstays are 415mm vs 410mm, BB drop is 75mm vs 70mm, headtube angle 73.5 degrees vs 74 degrees. Also added an 8 mm headtube extension. The slightly sloping (4 degree) top tube was also at my request. While I usually prefer a traditional geometry, my shortish legs necessitated the clearance provided by the slope. All in all, I am very happy with the way the sloping top tube looks.
The ride...as Terry B once said of his Moots, "sublime." I was stunned on my first long ride at how well this frame soaks up imperfections in the pavement. Cracks/broken sections of asphalt completely disappear. You hear people talk about a magic carpet ride, and you wonder if it could really be that noticeable. It is (at least to me coming from a CAAD 7). And Steve nailed the geometry, beautifully stable hands-off, yet the best cornering/descending bike I've ever ridden. I feel completely "centered" on this bike. Is it obvious that I'm pleased? I think I'll be riding this one for a long time!

The Build:
Frame: Hampsten Titanio TT 58, ST 57.5 ctt
Fork: Ouzo Pro Lite - 40mm rake
Wheels: Ligero-built, Chris King Classic hubs 28f/32r, Sapim CX-Ray spokes (2x front and non-drive, 3X drive), DT Swiss RR1.1 rims, Salsa skewers
Stem/Bars: Ritchey WCS 120mm/44cm
Headset: Chris King
Derailleurs/Brakes/Brifters: Shimano Dura Ace
Crankset: Shimano R700 Compact
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 12-25
Chain: Wipperman Connex
Cages: Tacx Tao
Pedals: Look KEO
Seatpost: USE Alien
Seat: Koobi Enduro Gel
Cables: IRD Metawire/Dura Ace
Computer: Polar cs200

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Your frame requests are identical to mine. On my Calfee I had the head tube angle eased a bit. Last bike purchase was a custom steel designed with a slight upslope on the top tube for longer head tube.

Beautiful bike - enjoy.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
congrats. looks like a sweet ride.

one question - what are those 'rings' around the TT, and the down tube (just below the bottle cage)?

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Aaahhh Moose

Luv the warpig bra, awesome job. Now you'll get some lip for "soilin" yur Moots with Shimano, but don't let um get to you. It's a beut, Long live the warthog! Makes me want to go out and put a hunski on me own Moots.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No premium...

allezdude said:
just wondering what the premium is over the price of a "regular" moots for having hampsten involved. but your bike is a 10. very sweet.
Steve advertises the standard Titanio on his website (www.hampsten.com) for $2450, same price that Wrench Science is advertising for the standard Vamoots. Only "stock" difference is that the Hampsten comes with slightly longer seatstays than the Vamoots. Full custom is, I believe, $250 upcharge.

SPG

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
botto said:
congrats. looks like a sweet ride.

one question - what are those 'rings' around the TT, and the down tube (just below the bottle cage)?
The rings are S&S couplers (see www.sandsmachine.com). Allows you to "breakdown" the frame into two pieces enabling the bike to be packed in a "standard" sized (26"x26"x10") "suitcase" for travel. It's really pretty cool. The couplers are ti too, so add little weight and according to Moots do not affect the ride qualities of the frame when provided for during the initial build (supposedly they specify different tubing to account for the increased stiffness provided by the couplers). I travel a fair amount so was looking for something that would allow me to take the bike along when I get the chance. I'll also be using it when I take the bike over to Italy this fall to join Andy H on one of his cycling tours!

SPG

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
what tires?

What brand of tires are those? I've got a ti Merckx frame with blue decals, and the blue tires might look real nice on it. I generally prefer black tires, but the blue looks really nice with your frame and decals, bar tape.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tarwheel2 said:
What brand of tires are those? I've got a ti Merckx frame with blue decals, and the blue tires might look real nice on it. I generally prefer black tires, but the blue looks really nice with your frame and decals, bar tape.
Vittoria Diamante Pro, recommended by my LBS owner. Jury is still out with me though. I think I still prefer my Michelin ProRace. For some reason they feel "faster" even though I know they're not. My LBS owner liked the fact that youcan pump up the Vittorias to 145 psi. I rode one ride with them pumped up to 140, and never will again. Way too harsh.
Thanks to all for the compliments on the bike, it's beeen a fun process putting it together and I'm glad I could share it with you.

Vr,
SPG

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm in one of those moods ... you know ... spitting nails ... gotta punch somebody. No reason. Just happens.

Thought I'd randomly drop in on a thread and just crap all over the OP ... but ... there's your bike -- your sweet, sweet bike -- that incredibly well appointed, elegant, too-sweet-to- actually-ride-yet-too-inviting-to-leave-at-home bike.

Nicely done ... all the bits. Lovely CK stuff, too!

Neil
Couple-a-Mootses....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.