Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so about 2 months ago i caused Hamstring Tendonitis on both my legs. this was because my seat on my new bike was to high. i think this was the main cause along with doing a 50 mile ride which is 15 miles more than my usual. went to sports doc and he did some stretching and electric stim for 2 weeks and i stayed off the bike. went back on after 2 weeks and my left ham still bothered me so i took another 2 weeks off. got back on the the bike recently and my left ham tendon still bothers me a bit, not nearly as bad but i still feel it and dont want to push it that hard, is this going to be a cronic problem? will it continue to heel over time? i really dont want to stay off tge bike any longer.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
slightly off topic:
did you lower your seat? by how much? perhaps you did not lower it enough?
my seat was close to ~1 inch (>20mm) too high because i used a formula to set it initially. it took me ages of riding in discomfort and pain and eventually I went to a top bike fitter who sorted it out in one session. if you set your seat height by a formula (like inseam times some number?) you might want to re-think that approach. it caused me big problems. I think there is no mathematical formula for positioning a person on a bicycle. Go by what feels good. There should be no localised pain anywhere during or after a hard ride. Just an even tiredness of muscles is what you should expect. If one of your muscles hurts, your position is most likely off. If your ham still hurts after a few weeks off the bike, after a return ride - your seat is still too high or too far back or both. Drop it another 3mm and see. Keep dropping the seat by ~3mm until you feel the fluency and power at the bottom of the pedal stroke (6pm) on both legs. Dont bother with formulas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.