Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
More info needed...

...on your bike. Is it polished now? Is it painted? Is it brushed, but has scratches? If you are just looking to "freshen up" your ti's brushed finish, then a scotch brite pad works well. There are other scotch-brite like pads you could use that are more subtle; Seven's website use to list info about their finishing procedure, but I do not see it discussed anymore.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am desperate

PsyDoc said:
...on your bike. Is it polished now? Is it painted? Is it brushed, but has scratches? If you are just looking to "freshen up" your ti's brushed finish, then a scotch brite pad works well. There are other scotch-brite like pads you could use that are more subtle; Seven's website use to list info about their finishing procedure, but I do not see it discussed anymore.
It currently is sandblasted. I want to get it to be hand brushed finish. Do you remember what and how they did it at Seven?

Regards,
Sean

·
Registered
442 Posts
Seven used...

...a pad that is available from auto body shops. Seven's information stated that the pad they use is similar to the scotch brite pad, but a little less abrasive that gave more of a satin finish to their tubes. This was attached to a drill. Doing an entire frame by hand with a scotch brite pad might will take longer, but may leave a more desirable finish. When I have touched up my Seven with a scotch brite pad, the touched up area looks a little brighter if you rub really hard. However, if you use a more gentle touch, then you do not see a contrast. Some other places, like Merlin, use a fine grit wheel attached to a drill...or at least that's how they use to do it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Go to mcmaster.com and try this product #:

4659A82

I think that's what they use, red Scotchbrite strips. I have a Ti frame that I want to refinish and if I ever get around to it, that's what I'll probably try first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re:

I recently stripped and polished my Tusacany top tube and completely stripped my blue Archon ( pics by the weekend) . Green Scotch Brite pads..it's super fine. Anything more leaves scuffs. ( Be prepared for smudges from hand prints etc.. ) To make it super polished use a stainless cleaner for appliances. Available at any local hardware store. The Archon looks awesome stripped and I may have it clear coated to keep the smudge marks off..undecided. hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If you go to an auto body supply shop, you can buy scotchbrite in sheets, these can be cut into strips so you can wrap around the tubes and use a pulling motion that makes it quite easy. You can also use some chrome or metal polish with the scotchbrite for a finer finish. finer grades of metal polish along with a drill and polishing bonnet can yeild a near-chrome finish if you desire. A dremel tool with a small buffing wheel can get into the tight spots. If you are willing to spend some time with it, you could really do a super job. I wouldn't recomend clear coating however, as you will lose the ability to touch up rubbed or scratched areas later. Keeping it waxed will eliminate the fingerprints. Lemon pledge wipes will help also.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I've got an Eddy Merckx AX ti frame that I bought used several years ago. It was pretty dirty with decals peeling when I got it. First I stripped off the old decals with acetone. Then I buffed the entire frame with a green Scotchbrite pad, using circular motions (important). Then I reapplied new decals that I bought from Gita Bikes. The frame looked like new when I was done.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Media blasting can leave some pretty deep pits that will take working over with an abrasive and abrasive compound to remove completely. I doubt most nylon blending pads will get media blasted pits out. As soft as Ti is, it would be easier to have it media blasted again. In my part time work, I do metal finishing on stainless steel and 6-4 Ti. Once blasted, it is pretty much done since it may go as deep at .002"+. Depending on hardness of the material, media and CFM/air pressure. As small as this may be, rubbing out or machining the surface will reduce wall thickness. It will not be a 15 minute job.

3M/Scotchbrite has a variety of pads available and there are also flap type wheels with similar ratings for brushed finishes. Try on the bottom bracket area since it is not readily seen.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
When visiting Merlin (in Cambridge) many moons ago they did all their final polishing by hand using the maroon scotch bright strips.

They actually gave me some while I was there.

Stil my favorite finish for a ti frame.

·
Registered
71 Posts
69chevelle70 said:
I recently stripped and polished my Tusacany top tube and completely stripped my blue Archon ( pics by the weekend) . Green Scotch Brite pads..it's super fine. Anything more leaves scuffs. ( Be prepared for smudges from hand prints etc.. ) To make it super polished use a stainless cleaner for appliances. Available at any local hardware store. The Archon looks awesome stripped and I may have it clear coated to keep the smudge marks off..undecided. hope that helps!

69chevelle70 - Do you mind giving a little background on the process and materials you used to strip your ti frames?
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.