Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference?

Are Shimano Dura Ace Wheels factory or hand built? or both?

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
FACTORY or MACHINE?

Are you asking whether those wheels are machine built, or handbuilt?

You don't specify a particular model of wheel, but almost all high-end "factory" system wheels are not machine-spoked.

Most low-to-midrange wheels are made by machine.

Some wheels, the machine spokes them but they are handfinished.

I'd be shocked if anything labelled Dura-ace is not at least hand-finished. They are quality wheels.

giosblue said:
Whats the difference?

Are Shimano Dura Ace Wheels factory or hand built? or both?

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
hand build = crafted by hand by a master who learned the exquisite and secret art of wheelbuilding from a monk member of a milenium long dynasty of wheelbuilders. He'll charge a fee for that.

factory built = built by evil machines in dark dungeouns in china or some other communist archaic state-nation.

got it ;) ?

· Registered
3,477 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
What are some excellent, hand built, <1400g wheels that are suitable for everyday riding in an urban environment for a 155lb'er.
And where can i buy them?
<1400g everyday riders are pretty darn light, even for a 155lber. I think most folks would consider wheels in that range (even tubbies) to be special event/race day only wheels, unless they were very gentle on their equipment and/or had the pockets to be able to easily repair/replace them when they broke.

Adding the factors of an urban enviroment into the mix, I think most would recommend going with something a bit more stout and thus heavier.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
krisdrum said:
<1400g everyday riders are pretty darn light, even for a 155lber. I think most folks would consider wheels in that range (even tubbies) to be special event/race day only wheels, unless they were very gentle on their equipment and/or had the pockets to be able to easily repair/replace them when they broke.

Adding the factors of an urban enviroment into the mix, I think most would recommend going with something a bit more stout and thus heavier.
thanks, would bumping my standards to 1500g/set be better? i really weigh 150, 155 with clothes/shoes.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
What are some excellent, hand built, <1400g wheels that are suitable for everyday riding in an urban environment for a 155lb'er.
And where can i buy them?
You will have a really hard time finding any sub-1400g clincher wheels any affordable price. I keep a big database on clincher wheels and their weights and prices. The best bang for the dolla are BWW Blackset Race - 1451g - $350. Or go with the CX-Ray option for more weight loss (and dollar gain). I did. Mine are great. I'm 170lbs. They use a sensible 24/28 spokes too.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Mike T. said:
You will have a really hard time finding any sub-1400g clincher wheels any affordable price. I keep a big database on clincher wheels and their weights and prices. The best bang for the dolla are BWW Blackset Race - 1451g - $350. Or go with the CX-Ray option for more weight loss (and dollar gain). I did. Mine are great. I'm 170lbs. They use a sensible 24/24 spokes too.
But Mike, correct me if I am wrong, but the BWW Blackset Race you have are "special event" wheels, not your everyday wheels. Those are Ultegra/DA to Open Pros if memory serves.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
krisdrum said:
But Mike, correct me if I am wrong, but the BWW Blackset Race you have are "special event" wheels, not your everyday wheels. Those are Ultegra/DA to Open Pros if memory serves.
Hey you caught me! I got the BWW Race as "special event" wheels but I had to try them out and they were so much lighter and faster than my OP/DA and OP/Ulteg wheels I just couldn't force myself to take them off and keep them for the special occasions. They've been on the bike since day 1 (13 weeks today). The OP/DA wheels are now on my dirt road bike (my old Masi) and they see use in that capacity.

I have Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 25mm (210g.) and 50g light tubes on the BWW's. Oh my! :eek:

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Mike T. said:
Hey you caught me! I got the BWW Race as "special event" wheels but I had to try them out and they were so much lighter and faster than my OP/DA and OP/Ulteg wheels I just couldn't force myself to take them off and keep them for the special occasions. They've been on the bike since day 1 (13 weeks today). The OP/DA wheels are now on my dirt road bike (my old Masi) and they see use in that capacity.

I have Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 25mm (210g.) and 50g light tubes on the BWW's. Oh my! :eek:
So they've become your everyday riders over the last 3+ months. How are they holding up?

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
krisdrum said:
So they've become your everyday riders over the last 3+ months.
You got it. At my age (don't ask), life is too short to ride heavy wheels and cheap tires. I was so impressed with the weight loss provided by the Race wheels and Vitt tires I thought "oh what the hell" and I didn't take them off.

How are they holding up?
Perfection. They bomb 4 sets of railway tracks on almost every ride and I spin 'em up once in a while and they're still dead true. I hit a pothole yesterday, full on, while I was distracted and they still are true. I guess I'll see how long they will last. I do about 100 miles/week at 18mph (hey I'm old!) on 25, 30 or 50 mile rides.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Mike T. said:
You got it. At my age (don't ask), life is too short to ride heavy wheels and cheap tires. I was so impressed with the weight loss provided by the Race wheels and Vitt tires I thought "oh what the hell" and I didn't take them off.

Perfection. They bomb 4 sets of railway tracks on almost every ride and I spin 'em up once in a while and they're still dead true. I hit a pothole yesterday, full on, while I was distracted and they still are true. I guess I'll see how long they will last. I do about 100 miles/week at 18mph (hey I'm old!) on 25, 30 or 50 mile rides.
Thanks Mike. That certainly is a promising initial stress test, especially at that spoke count and your weight. Might have to look into them for race wheels next year.

· AKA Old Man
598 Posts
From the information I have gotten; for me at just over 200 lbs, a set of Zen or Ligero will hold up to everyday riding and they are sub 1500 gram wheels. These are not cheap - 850 to 950 $ per set. I was told that they would be fine for day in day out wheels even for my weight.

· Banned
1,317 Posts
penn_rider said:
From the information I have gotten; for me at just over 200 lbs, a set of Zen or Ligero will hold up to everyday riding and they are sub 1500 gram wheels. These are not cheap - 850 to 950 $ per set. I was told that they would be fine for day in day out wheels even for my weight.
all wheels will be fine for everyday riding w/ a 200 lbs rider. Even at <1500g. Its just a matter of how long you want them to last.

· AKA Old Man
598 Posts
Well, the conversation of excessive maintenance because of my weight never came up, and I did not get the feeling that it should be something that I should have to worry about. They both have options in their build and took my weight into consideration when they spec'd the build.

· Registered
2,745 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
all wheels will be fine for everyday riding w/ a 200 lbs rider. Even at <1500g. Its just a matter of how long you want them to last.

Broken wheels can't be used every day. Not to mention flex and who wants to ride a wheel with no confidence every day. Are you the same poster who used the handle Louisss?

· Registered
613 Posts
Check out the American Classic Sprint 350 at 1410 grams. I know someone who races cat3 and trains on them everday, he loves them, thinks I should get a set. MikeT. has a good point about the BWW Blackset Race, weight for dollar it's hard to beat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.