Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently developed severe finger numbness when riding cross bike off road.I am using tektro levers that seem to be wider at the hoods than the shimanos I have tried. I am using the tektros so that I can use v brakes.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
and is it just on the bike? or do you get it other times, like when sleeping, typing, driving....

It's possible you might have carpal tunnel syndrome: http://www.medicinenet.com/carpal_tunnel_syndrome/article.htm

I have/had it in both hands and rode and races like that for a few years. So bad in fact that I couldn't feel my hands on the bars or could I feel my hand using the brakes.

there are two different nerves effected. the problem you speak of is the medial nerve which goes through the carpal tunnel. This is common for people who type at computers all day long. the second is the ulnar nerve which affects the ring and pinky finger.

I opted for surgery on my left hand, which was the worst of the two and they had to go in and release both nerves. 100% better. in fact I was back out on the bike 6 weeks after surgery in a race. my right hand bothers me periodically and I will eventually get it done too.

So I'm not in anyway diagnosing your numbness issue, but it sure sounds like you have what I have.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I had the same surgery on both nerves in both hands last Fall. The results are marvelous.

Note: In cycling you can injure the nerves by either overuse or by crushing. If the cause is crushing (for example, excessive pressure from too much weight on your hands), the injury can occur rapidly and be severe before you know it. And nerves take forever to heal, if ever.

I went to an orthopedic surgeon who does only hands. You really don't want someone who does carpal tunnels as a sideline to neurosurgery or knee replacements.

Don't wait. A half-hour EMG test will tell if there is nerve injury and where it is.

·
Registered
331 Posts
How about your grip I see lot's of guys shaking there hands from holding on too tight. I also have to remind myself to let go a little when things get tingly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts