Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping any of you using 2009 Campy shifters can help. I recently built up my new Moots with Campy Centaur for 2009. You can see pics here:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=170107 (I'd note that my seat is a bit higher now than it is in those pictures.

My first road bike has a Campy mix, with 2006 Veloce shifters and Deda 4 Girls 38 cm bars. I've comfortably run 90 and 100 mm stems on the bike, both with 6 degrees of rise. I was always very comfortable riding in the hoods on that bike, my preferred hand position being a few centimeters back from the top of the hoods. The hoods seemed to work with my hands, which are fairly average for a woman (I wear a medium glove).

However, I can't seem to get comfortable on the Centaur hoods and am trying to figure out what, if anything, I can change or adjust. On the longer rides I've done, the meat of my palm has gotten very red and sore during the rides and shows visible bruising afterwards. I'm wearing the same gloves I've always worn, which have a fair amount of padding. My shoulders and neck are also getting sore, but it's hard to tell if that's a related problem.

I've been fit on the new bike, and it's a custom build. My lower body feels great. I don't have much saddle to bars drop; they're just short of being level. I have a 90 mm stem with 6 degrees of rise on the bike and 38 cm FSA Compact Wing Pro bars, wrapped in Cinelli cork. I certainly haven't ruled out other fit issues, but it's of some significance to me that there's a slight bulge underneath the Centaur hoods upon which my palms are resting when my hands are fully in the hoods. During rides, this bulge irritates me, but if I pull my hands back a bit, I feel too cramped (both on the bars themselves and in my posture).

I talked to my fitter last night on the phone. As we talked, he checked out the feel of the hoods on another bike in the shop. He's not overly experienced at this point with the new shifters/hood design, but from what he could tell, the bulge is from the shifters themselves and has nothing to do with the bars or the way they're wrapped. We talked about putting a 100 mm stem on the bike, with the idea that it might help me pull my hands back so that my palm is resting more on the bar than on the hood.

Based on that information, does anything stand out? Different bars? Longer stem? A fit issue that's putting too much weight on my hands?

Thank you in advance.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Do what I did , go back to the old ergo's... I found nothing appealing about the new ones. I didn't like the fit for my hands, the silent shifting or the look. But thats just me. I'm sure with some tweaking you will find a comfort zone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You might try the following adjustment; you'll likely have to unwrap the bar tape clear of the hoods and retaining bands to do so.

Loosen the hood retaining bolts just enough to be able to move the hoods on the bar and move them just a little higher up on the curves of the drops so that the top surfaces of the hoods and the top edges of the bar tops are in a straight line with each other, rather than angled a bit, apex up, as they are in the picture. You may or may not then also want to loosen the stem bar clamp and rotate the bars down a bit, but try it without that first. This seems like not much of a change, but you may be surprised (maybe not, have to test to find out).

V.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ClassicSteel71 said:
Do what I did , go back to the old ergo's... I found nothing appealing about the new ones. I didn't like the fit for my hands, the silent shifting or the look. But thats just me. I'm sure with some tweaking you will find a comfort zone.
I've considered that, at least as a last resort. My guess is that I'll be able to find a good home, if necessary, for the 2009 levers. I'd just have to find a good (cheap) source for 2008, presumably Centaur, 10-speed levers.

·
Banned
952 Posts
indysteel said:
I've considered that, at least as a last resort. My guess is that I'll be able to find a good home, if necessary, for the 2009 levers. I'd just have to find a good (cheap) source for 2008, presumably Centaur, 10-speed levers.
I paid 148 on PBK for my 09's and just sold them on ebay for 199.

I would recommend 06 Centaur.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Campagnolo-...ryZ36140QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/10sp-Campagnolo...1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

·
Registered
296 Posts
So you basically turned a profit on your used levers :p

·
Banned
952 Posts
zigurate said:
So you basically turned a profit on your used levers :p
Yes, they were listed as like new, not new.

I'm considering flipping stuff on ebay from PBK. Tires especially, it's amazing how many people don't know of them.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
volubilis said:
You might try the following adjustment; you'll likely have to unwrap the bar tape clear of the hoods and retaining bands to do so.

Loosen the hood retaining bolts just enough to be able to move the hoods on the bar and move them just a little higher up on the curves of the drops so that the top surfaces of the hoods and the top edges of the bar tops are in a straight line with each other, rather than angled a bit, apex up, as they are in the picture. You may or may not then also want to loosen the stem bar clamp and rotate the bars down a bit, but try it without that first. This seems like not much of a change, but you may be surprised (maybe not, have to test to find out).

V.
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not totally sold on these bars, either. I was hoping C-40 might chime in. I know he tried the FSA Compact Wing Pros with Ergo and didn't like them. I otherwise like the bars though. When you need narrow bars like I do, you only have so many options, especially if you also like a classic bend.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm using TTT Ergonova Pros (42cm) with Record 11sp Ergo shifters, and like them more than any bars I've used. They do come in 38cm and have short reach and drop, *but* they're not classic round. However, the ergonomic drop curve is relatively subtle, not pronounced as with some ergo bars. The tops have an oval cross section rather than round which I find quite comfortable as well.

http://www.thenew3t.com/details.aspx?i=Dropbars&p=ergonova&d=PRO

v.

·
J24
434 Posts
indysteel said:
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not totally sold on these bars, ............, especially if you also like a classic bend.
Deda bars like the Newton can be had in classic shape always seemed to match up better with Campy shifters than other brands except a few ITM & 3T bars, particularly if you want a straight line along the tops of the hoods to & along the bar tops.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the bar suggestions. Those Ergonova Pros look interesting and, you're right, the ergo curve in the drops is very subtle.

Unfortunately, none of the Deda bars--save Deda 4 Girls--come in a 38.

I have to do something though and soon. Even on short rides, my hands are just not happy. I really don't want to spend the better part of the summer fooling around with it and am half tempted to just go straight to older Campy shifters and the Deda bars that I have on my Bianchi. While I never loved the drops on those bars, I didn't hate them and certainly riding in the hoods never bothered me. Anybody want to very gently used 09 shifters?

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not. Both my wife and I wear M size gloves, and she
also has narrow shoulders as you do. She uses an ITM 38 with fairly shallow
drop.

Compared to your setup, on all our bikes the handlebar would be rotated "downwards" so that the bottom/drops part is nearly horizontal. And of course, compared to your bike the lever/hood would be further up compared to the curvature of the handlebar.

Looks like your handlebar is really rotated up compared to what we like. It almost looks as if it were bulging up a bit as you go towards the hoods.

Hope what I said makes sense, else I can try to scribble somehow or post a picture.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
orange_julius said:
I don't know if this helps or not. Both my wife and I wear M size gloves, and she
also has narrow shoulders as you do. She uses an ITM 38 with fairly shallow
drop.

Compared to your setup, on all our bikes the handlebar would be rotated "downwards" so that the bottom/drops part is nearly horizontal. And of course, compared to your bike the lever/hood would be further up compared to the curvature of the handlebar.

Looks like your handlebar is really rotated up compared to what we like. It almost looks as if it were bulging up a bit as you go towards the hoods.

Hope what I said makes sense, else I can try to scribble somehow or post a picture.
I get what you're saying. I did a few rides with the bars rotated downward from the way they appear in those photos. Same problem.

I'm going to my LBS tonight to swap out my stem for a longer one. It's the cheapest thing to try first. I'll talk to my fitter about whether repositioning the bars and/or shifters would help at all.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Would you be interested in a Deda 4-Girls 38cm handlebars? I have one on my daughter's bike that I had built for my son but he didn't want to ride a road bike so it automatically became her bike. She won't fit it for a few years so it's just sitting there collecting dust. The bike is a 43cm and she's 8 years old now. I'm going to guess that she won't fit it until she is around 11 years old.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Squidward said:
Would you be interested in a Deda 4-Girls 38cm handlebars? I have one on my daughter's bike that I had built for my son but he didn't want to ride a road bike so it automatically became her bike. She won't fit it for a few years so it's just sitting there collecting dust. The bike is a 43cm and she's 8 years old now. I'm going to guess that she won't fit it until she is around 11 years old.
Maybe...we're putting some Salsa Pocos for the time being. I have those Dedas on my Bianchi and considered oredering another set. I'd have to get a new stem, too. No biggie, but we thought we'd try the Pocos since they have them in stock. It's all a crapshoot.

I"m learning the hard way that Campy shifters reduce your options when it comes to bars. Add to that the fact that I need narrow bars and it's a PITA.

Thanks for the offer. I'll contact you if the Pocos don't work.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
too low...

indysteel said:
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not totally sold on these bars, either. I was hoping C-40 might chime in. I know he tried the FSA Compact Wing Pros with Ergo and didn't like them. I otherwise like the bars though. When you need narrow bars like I do, you only have so many options, especially if you also like a classic bend.

The brake hoods are set too low. You'll need to unwrap the bars, move the band clamp up, probably 5mm or more. I also found that some foam rubber "camper seal" tape at the very back edge of the ergo body improves comfort.

The new brake hoods have 3-5mm more reach than the old ones and if they are mounted slightly too low, you will notice the greater reach.

I really like my Easton EC90 SLX3 bars. I got mine at Beyond Bikes for $175.

https://i33.tinypic.com/54i2ah.jpg[/IMG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Indysteel - Have you as yet tried what both C-40 and I suggested, namely moving the shifters/hoods upwards on the curve of the drops from where they now are until the hood tops are level with, or even a little bit angled up from, the tops of the forward bar extensions ? That one change might solve your hand problem. Right now there is an upward angle between the bar tops and the hood tops which is definitely hard on the hands.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
volubilis said:
Indysteel - Have you as yet tried what both C-40 and I suggested, namely moving the shifters/hoods upwards on the curve of the drops from where they now are until the hood tops are level with, or even a little bit angled up from, the tops of the forward bar extensions ? That one change might solve your hand problem. Right now there is an upward angle between the bar tops and the hood tops which is definitely hard on the hands.
I haven't...yet. I actually took a step back after taking a few measurements from the Bianchi and the Moots. The Moots' TT was purposely shortened so that I could sit a bit farther back behind the crank. My lower body feels well balanced on the bike, so I initially assumed that if my hands hurt, it had more to do with the bars and hoods than bike fit. My fitter, for whatever reason, didn't disagree with me.

It stands to reason that I need a longer reach than I had with the 90 mm stem would allow. In looking at the bend of my elbows--which was more than just slight--I wondered whether I was simply bearing too much weight on my forearms. With a bit more reach, my arms would be more in front of, and less under, me.

So I put a longer stem (110) on today. I was only able to put the bike on my trainer, but my upper body certainly felt better. I could easily just gently rest my hands on the hoods. I also put the Bianchi on the trainer. The reach on that bike is still two cm longer, and my balance on the bike is certainly not ideal. I'm hoping I've found the happy medium with the longer stem.

Now my bars and the position of the hoods may still need tweaking, and lengthening the stem may do absolutely nothing to help. We'll see soon. I'm supposed to do 3 State this Saturday.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts