Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new bike about a month ago, and unfortunately I am experiencing some pain in my hands when I rest my hands on the brake lever hoods while riding.

I went from an old Schwinn to a Felt z85, and was fitted at the shop. Other than the hand pain, it feels comfortable to ride. I never felt (har!) this before on my old bike, even though the brake levers were metal and not padded like my current Shimano 105 setup.

It's a somewhat sharp pain, and is felt in the palm, in the area between the fatty pads, probably an inch above the wrist. I do wear gloves, but they have no padding in that area. I can ride in the drops for long periods of time and not feel this discomfort.

Could I be resting to much of my weight on my hands in this position? I know I have somewhat bad biking posture and have been working on that, trying to keep my back more straight and support more of my weight on my sit bones and less on my arms (I'm 180 lbs, 6' tall).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I have the same problem and I have been riding for 15+ years. I'm right handed and it's my left that is the problem, so its not due to mousing or other activities. I get the same pain you describe all the time, not just when riding.

A lot of gloves these days don't have padding in the middle of the palm where I need it. But Specialized gloves do. My hand pain gets worse when my gloves' padding is old, so I replace them a couple times a year. I also double layered my bar tape on the tops of the bars from the stem (or where the tape ends near the stem) to the levers. And I use good gel bar tape. Those all help but don't completely cure it.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't get the pain while not riding, only while I'm cycling. I'll try some new gloves as well, as my current ones are about a year old now.

I went on a quick ride yesterday between rain storms and didn't experience any pain, but I was concentrating a lot harder on not resting my weight on my palms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.