Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I had what is basically the first decent ride on a road bike I've ever had. I'm 'babysitting' a guy's bike for a week to test it, to see if I want it or not. I rode it around 16 miles today, and got a decent feel for it.

The one thing that stood out was the hand pain. I couldn't keep my hands still in the hoods very long before they started to hurt, so I was continually changing positions. It felt as if my weight was biased too far forward, and too much was pressing down on my hands...specifically, the web between my thumb and index finger that was pushed up against the back of the hoods.

Any suggestions on what to change? I've moved the seat around, plus rotated the bars a little forward (so the top of the hoods is level with the bar clamp), and am not sure what to try next. One thing I'm wondering about is the seat to bar drop...I had to raise the seat quite a bit for my long legs, so the bar's about 3-1/2" below the seatline.

The stem that's on it now is an 80mm x 20 deg, and I have a 120 x 20 deg that I could try. I'm afraid that would leave me too stretched out though.

Please post any thoughts or suggestions, your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Brian

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Sounds like stem is too short...

GirchyGirchy said:
Today, I had what is basically the first decent ride on a road bike I've ever had. I'm 'babysitting' a guy's bike for a week to test it, to see if I want it or not. I rode it around 16 miles today, and got a decent feel for it.

The one thing that stood out was the hand pain. I couldn't keep my hands still in the hoods very long before they started to hurt, so I was continually changing positions. It felt as if my weight was biased too far forward, and too much was pressing down on my hands...specifically, the web between my thumb and index finger that was pushed up against the back of the hoods.

Any suggestions on what to change? I've moved the seat around, plus rotated the bars a little forward (so the top of the hoods is level with the bar clamp), and am not sure what to try next. One thing I'm wondering about is the seat to bar drop...I had to raise the seat quite a bit for my long legs, so the bar's about 3-1/2" below the seatline.

The stem that's on it now is an 80mm x 20 deg, and I have a 120 x 20 deg that I could try. I'm afraid that would leave me too stretched out though.

Please post any thoughts or suggestions, your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Brian
You didn't say what size the bike was, 80mm is a very short stem, so I presume it's a small bike. Try a longer stem. If the stem is too short you will be putting more weight on your hands, upper body, shoulders etc. Dial in the saddle first then go to the stem and bars. Going to a 120mm is a drastic change, what are you riding now as far as stem length etc? It sounds like you are riding a bike that was set up for someone else.

You should be fairly stretched out on your bike and have your weight distributed, 60/40 is the norm....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe the bike is too small for you. I had one I couldn't get comfy on and finally decided it was too small. I've had a little hand discomfort on my new one but not near as bad. I have some ritchy handlebars on order that should fix that. I tilted my seat nose up which also helped, plus rotated my handlebars.

Some people have a preferance to a certain brand. You might prefer campy hoods to shimano. What you are describing seems more like a fit issue to me though.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dinosaur said:
You didn't say what size the bike was, 80mm is a very short stem, so I presume it's a small bike. Try a longer stem. If the stem is too short you will be putting more weight on your hands, upper body, shoulders etc. Dial in the saddle first then go to the stem and bars. Going to a 120mm is a drastic change, what are you riding now as far as stem length etc? It sounds like you are riding a bike that was set up for someone else.

You should be fairly stretched out on your bike and have your weight distributed, 60/40 is the norm....
The bike is an '02 Cannondale Cyclocross Ultra, size 58. Going by the geometry on their website, it's closer to many 59cm frame sizes. And you're right; it was sized for a different guy, but our body types are similar.

I'll have the bike for a couple more days, so I'll switch out the stems and see if that does anything. The stem on my main mt. bike is a 120mm, and it's around a 110 on my other mt. bike, but I've never sized a road bike before. So this is all new to me.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Start fitting from the saddle first. Check your KOPS by dropping a plumb bob from the front of your tibia (bottom of kneecap) with cranks at 3 and 9. The bob should drop on or just behind the pedal spindle. This will give you proper position relative to the BB. Also, check the saddle tilt to make sure that you are not sliding forward thus weighting your hands.

Then start looking at the stem..longer usually is easier. But, road cycling is an athletic position, you will need to get stronger and build strength in the core. Can you lean over in the position with your hands hovering over the hoods(but not touching)? Tough eh!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.