Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2009 Specialized Allez a couple of weeks ago and I ride it almost every day. I have a 58cm frame, which was fitted by my LBS. One issue is that when I ride on the hoods the base of both my thumbs start to hurt after a while. I wear the pearl izumi gel padded gloves when I ride. I have tried different positions on the hoods and I have tried to get lower to the bar for more bend in my elbows. I think I may need a shorter stem. If anyone has any advice my hands would greatly appreciate it!!

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Sounds like maybe too much weight on your hands. Can you "hover" off the bars without falling forward. If you can't you may be too stretched out. Move your seat a little forward and see if that helps, and by a little, maybe 1/2 to 1 cm. Whenever you dail in a bike only change one thing at a time that way you can try to issolate the problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You Both

I tried raising the seat a little in front and sliding it slightly forward. It seems to have helped a little bit, but I might make more of an adjustment. I'll let you know once I ride on the adjustments a little more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been having the same problem but also my wrists get really sore...I will try the fixes mentioned above (sorry for the thread hijack but I figure it is better than starting a whole new thread)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.