Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm planning to pickup a new set of all-around wheels (daily riders) and have narrowed it down to two choices:

1) Campy Neutron

2) DT 240s hubs, DT RR1.1 Rims, and DT Aerospeed spokes (similar to the Excel "Swiss Threat" but with different spokes).

Both options will end up at about the same price (assuming that the Neutrons come from TotalCycling). I've heard nothing but good things about the Campys but I know from personal experience that a good set of handbuilts is super-sweet.

My reference wheelset right now is a pair of handbuilts (King hubs, Velocity Fusion rims, and Aerospeed spokes). I would have another set of these built, but I need real campy compatibility (not a conversion cassette).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a set of Nuetrons I use to ride in the city (Wash, DC). I have 1500 miles on them and they are still very true. The only maintenance I've done is grease the hubs which is very easy to do with Campy hubs. I ride Mavic SSCs, Gippeme Tri spokes (cross bike), and Mavic OPs 32 spoke DA hubs by Wheelsmith. What I like most about the Nuetrons is there ability to absorb viabrations and take a beating. Hey there has to be a reason why the Peleton uses them in Paris Roubaix. I got my Nuetrons used of ebay for $400.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Handbuilt, I've never ridden a set of factory, prebuilt, whatever you want to call them wheels. Of course back I was racing, there were not any around as far as I can remember. Everything was handbuilt at the LBS. I never have had a problem. My latest set (LTA hubs laced to Velocity Aerohead rims) has remained problem free. I have 3-4000 miles on them and outside of the typical minor adjustment after 30 days, they have remained straight and true.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own a set a NEUTRONS but not for long!!!!
If you like using tire levers and pinching your tube all the time then these wheels are GREAT!!!
They have got to be the hardest wheels in the world to change a tire.
I'd go with the hand built wheelset, stay away from the Campy rims.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree, the nuetrons are harder to change tires. I put talcum powder on the tube and it helps tremendously for installation. I wouldn't want to be doing this in the rain. I still love the Nuetrons as they take out road vibration, are kind of lightweight, bombproof, and very quiet. I don't think I would have paid $800+ retail. And yes I agree a good handmade wheel is hard to beat.
but for $400 off ebay it was a good deal for me...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

I decided to go the handbuilt route with Ligero as the builder. He's quoting sub-1400 grams for what should be a very durable wheelset.

·
Registered
354 Posts
How does the ride quality of a Neutron compare to a standard 32h wheel? They would be about the same weight, it seems. Might be a nice wheel at the right price.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
compared to my 32 hole OPs with Dura Ace hubs the Neutrons are not at stiiff and seem to transmit less road vibration. The Nuetrons wind up much faster. Maybe has to do with less spokes and more aero spokes. Neutrons are lighter than the OPs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts