Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps,

So I'm in the process of acquiring myself a new Pegoretti. It'll be running chorus 11. I've got a set of ksyriums that'll go on initially but I can see myself upgrading reasonably soon.

I am leaning towards a handbuilt, semi-aero tubular wheelset. Boras are too expensive, so it's the handbuilt route for me. Need to be strong-ish (I'm 200lb on a bad day), and aeroish like I said before. Weight is not too much of an issue, if they come in around the weight of the ksyriums (equipe) or a little less I'll be stoked.

So here's where I throw it open. Thoughts? What components should I look for? DT Swiss hubs? Sapim spokes? Velocity rims? It helps that they're made here in Australia ;)

Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
813 Posts
You really want tubulars? For clinchers in Velocity, I'd go with the Fusion, which should be very strong, or the Aerohead and Aerohead OC, which you'd want a little higher spoke count for. I'm tempted to try the new 23mm A23. In tubulars, the Escape looks fine.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Fuss is right, they're a huge pain in the arse! Very close to zero road riders still use them.

They're still often used for racing for two reasons:
Lighter weight (the rims, mostly).
They can continue to be ridden on, while waiting for a new wheel, better than clinchers.

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
irongustavius said:
Guess I can use clinchers with some Open Corsa CXs or such?
Lovin' mine. I run them at about 80psi (25mm wide. 170lbs bodyweight) and they're like a breath of fresh air. They're fast and comfy. I wouldn't use tubulars again if they were free - and I did use them for 24 years.

In that case, what would be a reasonable strong + aero handbuilt combinarion?
Look at BWW Blackset Race - light, strong AND "cheap". Mine are excellent.

·
Registered
588 Posts
A "handbuilt, semi-aero tubular wheelset" for campy? Ok:

Campy Record Hubs (32 hole) - who thought there would be a day when these would be cheap? You can get them from various UK online shops for <$200. A DT swiss rear hub is north of $350 now. Mine weighed in at 115g for the front, 231g for the rear. Come in tuxedo black.

Kin Lin TB25 rims - 27mm profile. Tubular. 430g. Strong enough for CX if you want to. Come in every colour you want, if you want black. Can be had for $60.00 a rim.

Lace 'em up with DT swiss competition spokes (black), 3x all around. Brass nipples. $72 bucks.

There is a bombproof tubular, semi aero wheelset that will set you back less than $500 and weigh in around 1600g. They will last forever. FOREVER. You could ride a cobbled classic on these. There will be 13 speed campy before these start to wear.

Want more bombproof, but willing to give up aero? Go with Ambrosio Nemesis rims...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
strathconaman said:
A "handbuilt, semi-aero tubular wheelset" for campy? Ok:

Campy Record Hubs (32 hole) -. . . . Come in tuxedo black.

Kin Lin TB25 rims - 27mm profile. Tubular. 430g. Come in every colour you want, if you want black.

Lace 'em up with DT swiss competition spokes (black), 3x all around. Brass nipples. $72 bucks.

lucky I'm leaning towards black, huh.

Thanks for your help. I'll talk to my bike shop, see what's available. I'm not up to building my own just yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.