Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Me thinking of changing my current 26.0 handle bar to a carbon one. Wondering if it is more advisable to get a 31.8 handlebar which looks more pro.

:confused:

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
the new standard...

Personally I hate the looks of oversize bars, but it will soon be the the new standard, making stems the same for MTB and road. If you're in the market for a handlebar and stem, it's probably the way to go.

Carbon bars are another story. I tried the original Easton EC-90 (in 26.0 diameter) several years ago and they were OK, but a bit flexy. Now that carbon bars are 2-4 times the cost of lighter aluminum bars, it doesn't make sense to me. Those who claim an improvment in shock absorption have a vivid imagination, IMO. I logged plenty of miles on gravel-sealed asphalt and really didn't notice a difference.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
madonna said:
Hi guys. Me thinking of changing my current 26.0 handle bar to a carbon one. Wondering if it is more advisable to get a 31.8 handlebar which looks more pro.

:confused:
26.0 or 31.8 will make no difference for most riders - I have both. 31.8 does look a little more "pro", and goes better with oversize tubing.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
If your happy...

with your stem stay with 26.

I have oversized bars on one of my bikes and can't say it matters that much.

If you like the way it looks go for it, ESP. if it is going to match your team kit......

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the 31.8 handle bar provide a bigger circumference for our hands on the holding area thus a more comfortable feel? Or both share the same size?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Val_Garou said:
Same size, it's just bulged at the clamping area.
So what is the purposes? I don't think that contribute to any stiffness.. (Maybe a little). See like it carries extra weight. Think must be another marketing trick again.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
C-40 said:
Personally I hate the looks of oversize bars, but it will soon be the the new standard, making stems the same for MTB and road. If you're in the market for a handlebar and stem, it's probably the way to go.

Carbon bars are another story. I tried the original Easton EC-90 (in 26.0 diameter) several years ago and they were OK, but a bit flexy. Now that carbon bars are 2-4 times the cost of lighter aluminum bars, it doesn't make sense to me. Those who claim an improvment in shock absorption have a vivid imagination, IMO. I logged plenty of miles on gravel-sealed asphalt and really didn't notice a difference.

I 2nd that.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
You said it!!!

It a marketing gimmick and a way for comapnies to save money and offer only stem size for MTB and road stems.

Basically the USA Rep for Syntcae said the same thing. It marketing and makes it easier for suppilers and shops to carry ONE size for all bikes.
Syntace nw produces one only because other manufactures are and must keep up.

The testing machines also showed they really not that much stiffer. Almost non-existant and well as GREMAN BIKE magazine which is known for thier testing.

BUT if all stem manufactures slowy eliminate 25.4 and 26.0 you will have no choice.

I don't think this will happen for a while. I just bought nrew Carbon Road bars and I went 26.0 because of the stem I use ONLY comes in 26.0 and right now they have no plans to go OS. In 2-3 years when I replace my bar, then I might go OS, but only when I have too....

Just another way of the industry sticking it top us....

Sure External BB have there advantages..but ST as Campy has shown is fine. Octalink? Well that Shimano's doing and you can expect thet...

Sorry for the rant......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts