Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order a new handlebar and have only used the round type in the past.

Is there is any advantage or disadvantage comfort or other wise for the newer flat type bar over the traditional round type in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Yes. I went from a flat carbon bar to a round aluminum bar and no doubt the flat bar was more comfy.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
I switched from a round bar to a 3T Ergonova Pro a few months ago and don't think I will ever use a round bar again, except on a fixie. It is definitely a lot more comfortable than a round bar.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have flat bars on my road bikes and I don't think I will go back to round bars. Flat bars are much more comfortable on long rides.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
while I really prefer the aesthetic of a round bar (with traditional bend), I ride a flat-top bar for the increased comfort.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Zachariah said:
Flat tops unanimously...
Wait a minute. I've got both and I'm not partial to one or the other. Both work fine. What's more important to me is the bend. Make mine shallow and NOT ergonomic.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I don't like flat bars. Perhaps if I rode with my hands on that spot more often I would but generally I'm only there for portions of climbs where I want to have a good firm grip and round bars are better for that.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I prefer a round bar over a flat-top bar. Probably because I spend very little time on the tops of the bars. I usually stay on the hoods, or just aft of the hoods.

·
Registered
21,540 Posts
Don't care

dasho said:
I'm about to order a new handlebar and have only used the round type in the past.

Is there is any advantage or disadvantage comfort or other wise for the newer flat type bar over the traditional round type in your opinion?
Since I spend approximately zero percent of my riding time where the flats would be on a flat bar, I just don't care :)

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Purely a preference item... you choose. I prefer a 34 cm bar rather than 32 and shallow drops. The 3T Limited Ergosum round is great for me. My last bike had flat tops...liked them too but if you get too comfy on the tops you are too far from the break levers.

·
This space for sale
783 Posts
I recently switched to 3T ergonova bars and find them a lot more comfortable than my last bars. I think it has more to do with a shallower traditional bend rather than the anatomical easton bars I had prior.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
I find my comfort level much more influenced by saddle position/tilt and overall reach. Bar shape is secondary to me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I found the flat bar to be awkward and annoying; I ended up switching back to my original round bar.

Also, the wing bar just looks sloppy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I switched from round aluminum to carbon flat...I love the carbon, I noticed immediate difference in my hand comfort, but I've decided that I'll go back to round carbon...My hands are just not as comfortable on the flats..I think I'm more comfortable gripping around the bar closer to the stem rather than on the flats as it seems to put more weight on my wrists

·
Pound Solid
63 Posts
I switch last year from round to flat, what a difference. I used more of the bar as far as different hand locations than I did with the round.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts