Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

At this point, your only option is a stem with more rise. Post the stem brand and the angle might be easy to find. Some brands only offer one or two angles that can be flipped up or down.

In the flipped up position, the stem will be nearly one full size shorter (horizontally) than it is in the flipped down position.

FWIW, I have a method for lengthening a steerer by up to 1.5cm. As a mechanical engineer, I know it's perfectly safe and actually stronger than the original setup, but the mere mention of this possibility always brings doubtful comments. I've been riding a LOOK KG 461 with a steering tube extension for several years with no problem.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
C-40 said:
I have a method for lengthening a steerer by up to 1.5cm. As a mechanical engineer, I know it's perfectly safe and actually stronger than the original setup, but the mere mention of this possibility always brings doubtful comments. I've been riding a LOOK KG 461 with a steering tube extension for several years with no problem.
C-40, what's your method? Can you explain it?

thanks, foz

·
hello
3,394 Posts

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

foz said:
C-40, what's your method? Can you explain it?

thanks, foz

I can e-mail some details, but in a nut shell, you need something to provide M6 threads for the top cap bolt, then fill the entire stem clamp area with an epoxy like JB Weld. A very ordinary copper tube coupling has the perfect 1-1/8" ID to be used as a form to allow the epoxy to extend above the steering tube. To provide the necessary threads, I used a 1" star nut, with the OD filed down slightly, so it slid into the steering tube without interference. I placed a small piece of foam rubber in the steerer to keep the epoxy from running down below the fill area.

Another simple, but not cheap solution would be to have a machine shop make an aluminum extension with about 4cm of length to glue into the steering tube and up to 2cm of extension.

The key is to have a least half the length inside the stem clamp be the original steerer.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
How much additional height are you looking for?

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure how much if any additional height I am looking for. I bought the bike off of Ebay and have not had a chance to get it out for a real test ride yet because of the weather. When I took it around the block a few times it just felt alot different then my other bike (Fuji Cross Comp). I realize that the Look is supposed to have a more aggressive riding position. I am thinking about getting a fitting on the Look but I wanted to know ahead of time what can be easily and cheaply adjusted and what would require some investment.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
If the fitter recommends you go higher on the bars he'll certainly recommend a high rise stem, no doubt.

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
If the bike is the one in the picture, the OP definately looses 1-1.5 inches because of the hadlebar drop. I.e., the levers are not at the same level but below the handlebar mounting point. therefore the handlebar drops down to the levers, and the reach is lower.

As fixing this with the current bars it only means to move the levers a lot forward, I think a solution would be to get another handlebar, short reach, horizontal tops. Or cheaper..to buy another stem.

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts
And.....

....from the picture you posted.
you may want to tilt your bars up a bit.... if you are feeling to low while ridding on the hoods, that could be the first problem.:: bar rotation is a very personal thing to riders, but tilting up can fix that sinking feeling sometimes.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Specialized has some very steep angle stems.... try on their website.... When I did my last bikefit, the guy from the store showed me some very steep ones...

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
With a riser stem (+15) and handlebars that don't ramp down, you could easily raise your handlebars 4-5 cm. Go to this page at the Habanero bicycles website to find a stem rise/reach calculator. You can use this chart to figure how much rise and reach you will get with different types of stems.

http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

·
Registered
797 Posts
I once saw a toy that clamped over the steer tube, and tapered in to the diamitor of said steer tube.
I havn't time at the mo' but I'll look in a couple days if someone else don't beat me to it

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
Streamwood Steve said:
The stem is a Deda Newton 120mm. According to some web investigation the angle is 82.
I think you could try flipping the stem. I can't really tell from the picture, but it looks to me like it's in the -8° position. (Again, I could be wrong - I really can't tell from the picture...)

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Yes, flipping that stem will yield a little more rise, along with repositioning that handlebar & STI's.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
C-40 said:
I can e-mail some details, but in a nut shell, you need something to provide M6 threads for the top cap bolt, then fill the entire stem clamp area with an epoxy like JB Weld. A very ordinary copper tube coupling has the perfect 1-1/8" ID to be used as a form to allow the epoxy to extend above the steering tube. To provide the necessary threads, I used a 1" star nut, with the OD filed down slightly, so it slid into the steering tube without interference. I placed a small piece of foam rubber in the steerer to keep the epoxy from running down below the fill area.

McGiver, You Rock!
Okay, so you are not McGiver. He would have used some chewing gum.:thumbsup:

Great info on the amount of decreased reach by flipping the stem. Don't tell the stem police hear about that one.

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts