Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask advice from the folks at home some advice on bars for my Merckx that is (hopefully) on the way from Europe.

I have a 3ttt Morphe on one bike and want something a bit different.

Criteria:

silver, italian would be nice
26 or 25.4 clamp
non ergo, I actually like the 3ttt ergosum style drop but its only in 31.8
not too deep, my back isn't what it used to be.
about 44 wide

I like a flat area up to the levers as I ride mostly there, like the photo of the red Merckx below I lifted from the Merckx thread.

Also a pic of the bars on my current Merckx, I have turned them down since taking this photo but cant quite get them right, and a few other shots just for fun.

Many thanks for the help, this forum gives me lots of inspiration for restoring and sometimes even riding my bikes.

Rob

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Nitto Noodles are always an excellent place to start for silver, classic bend bars. If the Noodles are too deep, they have other models with shallow drops.

I think 3T has a new set of silver bars too. I think I saw them on the PBK website.

And as a fellow owner of multiple steel Merckx, you GOTTA get rid of those erog bars on the Molteni MX Leader (I think).

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
cathyandrob said:
I agree the ergo's are not cool, they are just getting me down.

thanks for the PBK tip.
You might be able to find some Cinelli Campione bars on ebay too. They seem to be a popular option as well.

But the Nitto's are my go-to bar. After I bought my first set, I swapped my other two road bikes bars to Nitto's.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the Nitto Dream Bar (44) and a Nitto Pearl stem. My son's bike has the Noodle, and I actually like better the look and feel of the more traditional Dream, but any Nitto bar you can buy now is unsurpassed in quality (probably better than anything ever made in Italy). There are other Nitto bars available from several online sources, such as Rivendell and Bicycle Classics. The engraving is very well done, and you can fill the engraving with paint for an added touch. (I have an extra 42 on hand, which I pulled off for the wider 44, which is more comfortable for me; if someone is interested, send me a PM.)

If you go the Nitto route, you might want to also get their unique handlebar tool, which spreads the stem clamp so as to make it easier to insert the bar without marring anything. It won't slip like a screwdriver or a pry bar.

View attachment 211123

View attachment 211124

1 - 10 of 10 Posts