Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about wrapping the bare bar with an old road tube, then covering with standard bar tape. Anybody tried that?

I suffer from hand pain starting at less than 10 miles. The rest of the ride is enduring the agony of the hands. It's not vibration, it's the pressure that does it. One finger is still numb from a ride 10 days ago. Nerve damage.

Sheldon Brown said that padded gloves can hurt more than help. I've tried padded (but not gel) and no pads.

Gel pads on the 'bar turn me off. Seem kinda creepy and yucky to me, like strangling an earthworm or taking a bath in Jello. When I squeeze a 'bar, I don't want the feeling that it is squeezing back or moving all squirmy under my hand.

Read somewhere about a cross country trekker padding his handlebar with cottton waste.

Anybody with a similar problem?

·
Registered
934 Posts
The 2.5mm (Specialized) Bar Phat doesn't feel like that to me. It really just feels like padding. I don't think a road tube would provide much help; they're pretty thin.

("Bar Phat" is still a darn stupid name though)

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
fit or fitness problem??

Be sure that the problem is not due to either a poor bike setup, like a saddle that's too far forward, bars too low or brake hoods mounted improperly. Any of these will increase weight on the hands.

A lack of midsection strength can also place too much weight on the hands. You should be able to hover you hands above the brake hoods or form an O around the brake hood with your thumb and first finger and not place a lot of weight on you hands.

I've had some occasional hand numbness, but it's from pinched nerves in my neck, not any of the above problems. Old age and injuries are tough to avoid, particularly the age.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have dupuytren's contracture which causes scar-like tissue to from in your palms and I find it painful to grip a normal sized bar. What I do is double or triple tape my bar with foam/cork tape. It's not perfect but it sure helps a lot since its a little more padded and has a larger surface area to distribute the weight. I am also considering getting a wing sectioned bar to have an even wider place to put my hands.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Raise the bar! I can just about guarantee your LBS built your bike with the standard 'racer wannabe' configuration, which puts the bars too low for about 90% of us. This is my biggest pet peeve about modern cycling, because it's so damn unnecessary.
What's that you say? You can't raise the bar, because you've got threadless, and they've already cut the steerer tube short? Yet another 'innovation' that causes more probs than it solves. Your options now are:1.)Get a new fork, leave it uncut til you figure out your optimal bar height. (2.)Get an ogly riser stem or Delta steerer tube extension, (3)Go vintage, and get something with a 1" threaded, so you can raise the quill stem, while you wonder why the HELL this superior system has been discontinued, (4)Get something like an Albatross bar, and endure both unprecedented comfort, and heaps of scorn from the roadie crowd...we're talking kickstand-and-reflectors, Fred style, zero cool. (5)At the very least, I concur with the cork tape. It can definitely help. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Sounds to me like you have carpal tunnel syndrome. The surgery to fix it is very simple and quick these days. If you have it, it ain't gonna get better without the surgery. If you have insurance that will cover the majority of the cost, I'd recomend getting the surgery. I had it about 5 years ago and the results were great. Before I had the surgery, My hands would go numb within 5 minutes of being on the bike. Now I can ride for at least an hour without numbness. Talk to a orthapedic surgeon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.