Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed in two sets of alu anodized handlebars some small pitting right above the right shifter. presumably it's corrosion from salt from my hands.
is any pitting tolerable in this location on the bars? or just get rid of them?
they are Deda 215's and Cinelli . . . somethings.

·
Super Moderator
41,367 Posts
Not wishing to get into the middle of this high-post-count throwdown, but I'm going with the "it depends" side. If these pits are small, like they look like little gnats or grains of salt stuck to your bar, I'd ride it. Could you post a pic?

·
Registered
1 Posts
As long as the pits are not in an areas of high tensile stresses, slight single pits like these ought not to be a problem. Imagine where the bar might bend if you were to really stand on it, unless you are really hammering in the drops, pits in area in the photes usally are not a problem. Significant pits (deep and long) along the top of the bar near the stem are the most concerning. Pits in those areas could lead to stress corrosion cracking and sudden bar failure. Pitting occurs because of dissimilar metal contacting the aluminum bar. I'll bet the strap on the brake lever is steel and these pits are right at the point of contact. I wrap the crap out of the whole bare with vinyl electrician tape prior to wrapping with bar tape to help keep moisture out .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.