Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ITM Mantis bar that needs to be replaced (sweat-related corrosion...I hope). As long as I'm happy with my postion, I figured I could just replace the bar with an identical ITM bar and I'd be set. After a fruitless internet search, I can only conclude the Mantis bar is no longer made...

This brings up two somewhat unrelated questions:

1. How does one choose a handlebar? The "go to the LBS and see what's comfortable" doesn't really work as they are understandably reluctant to yank off my old bar and put on a new one just so I can tiddle around the block. I know enough to realize ya gotta choose 26 or 31.8 for the stem clamp (now, 26 ITM Mantis 110 stem), and width (currently 46cm o-o or roughly 44 c-c). I also understand the concepts of drop and reach, and assume (yikes!) that, being large (6' 2" 210 lbs.) I need long reach/deep drop.

But how to choose?

2. Does more money spent equal better bar? What I see is largely a difference in material (carbon fiber vs. aluminum alloy) and weight. With my bulk, I don't sweat component grams. So is there a compelling reason to buy an ITM 101 carbon bar ($276, 200 grams) over an ITM 300 ($30, 300 grams) when the reach (88) drop (154) and, as far as my computer pixels can see, shape, are identical? (I know, 3rd question!)

If it matters, the only feature I'm partial to is double grooves, as I ride Campy.

Thanks for reading, and for any helpful tips.

Karl "must have "Alien" -type sweat" Motobacon

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Find a bar with the same "reach" and "drop", and it will feel the same. If you feel a little "bunched up", get a bar with a little more reach.
300 grams used to be the standard for bars. 10 years ago, the "standard" became 260 grams. Now, everyone wants a lightweight bar, and is shocked when it snaps after 4 years.
You can't go wrong with a "mid-weight" 260 gram bar......(26.0 dia, aluminum construction)

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

MR_GRUMPY said:
Find a bar with the same "reach" and "drop", and it will feel the same. If you feel a little "bunched up", get a bar with a little more reach.
300 grams used to be the standard for bars. 10 years ago, the "standard" became 260 grams. Now, everyone wants a lightweight bar, and is shocked when it snaps after 4 years.
You can't go wrong with a "mid-weight" 260 gram bar......(26.0 dia, aluminum construction)
Thanks for the help and historical perspective. I'll follow your advice and buy the 260 gram aluminum bar that Scooper (below) found for me.

Karl "gaining knowledge one fact at at time" Motobacon

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Scooper said:
I guess I don't understand why your search was fruitless. I got lots of hits.

ITM Mantis 25.8 clamp
Wow, this is great! I guess my Google searching was not detailed enough, or you have other resources...

Anyway, bought the bar a few minutes ago using your link. Thanks again for your help.

Karl "this is what the RBR community is all about" Motobacon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.