Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Specialized Ruby Expert. The day I bought, my LBS salesperson said I would probably need smaller handlebars, after seeing me on it for the second time. I took in my older bike, a Trek 1500 WSD, and she measured the handlebars on it and they are smaller. My older bike fits me perfectly (was set on getting a Madone WSD but the Ruby's compact crank and smooth ride won me over.) To add another potential glitch, before I bought the Ruby, I had the shop change out the white bar tape for black.

What to do? The shop will sell me a smaller handlebar @ $130-same make/model. Is there any reason why they can't do an even trade of handlebars? I could switch out the handlebar and stem from my 1500 to the Ruby (I think?), OR I can ride it as is and see if I have any adverse effects. (I do notice a difference in my reach and I have abnormally narrow shoulders...I am a true petite at 5'3" 105lbs.)

Thanks for any advice/help!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
If they swap parts out, either at the time of sale or soon after, it's normal to trade in the old part at about cost price. The reason is that the bars they're taking off will not be saleable as new. If they offered you a set of bars that had been fitted, most people would expect a pretty heavy discount.

From what you have said, it seems that's what they have done.

I'd go with that option as using the bars from your existing bike may not work as well as the carbon bars from Specialized.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
cvn said:
I just bought a Specialized Ruby Expert. The day I bought, my LBS salesperson said I would probably need smaller handlebars, after seeing me on it for the second time. I took in my older bike, a Trek 1500 WSD, and she measured the handlebars on it and they are smaller. My older bike fits me perfectly (was set on getting a Madone WSD but the Ruby's compact crank and smooth ride won me over.) To add another potential glitch, before I bought the Ruby, I had the shop change out the white bar tape for black.

What to do? The shop will sell me a smaller handlebar @ $130-same make/model. Is there any reason why they can't do an even trade of handlebars? I could switch out the handlebar and stem from my 1500 to the Ruby (I think?), OR I can ride it as is and see if I have any adverse effects. (I do notice a difference in my reach and I have abnormally narrow shoulders...I am a true petite at 5'3" 105lbs.)

Thanks for any advice/help!
How much smaller? What is the bar (make/model)? If you are going to change them out yourself, maybe you could get the same bar a lot cheaper.

Also, the new bars may allow the shift levers to be closer to the bars or offer some other advantage of the newer WSD-type bikes.

TF

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
I ride two different width handle bars

My newer one is wider than my older bike. I ride each about equal amounts. To be honest, I actually like the wider width more. At first it was a little sketchier on descents, but now, I don't notice it at all. Ride it for a few weeks, then decide. When I did a bike fit I was told to go slightly wider because it would help to open up my breathing. May be some truth to that, anatomically speaking, it made sense.

BT

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies. I have been riding with the 40cm bars that came with the bike--it will take until end of May (!) to get new ones (38cm) if I want. I notice a difference in my reach but it's not a bad difference--it's just different than riding the 1500. I have no aches or pains so I may just well stick with the 40s. By May I will have ridden a century so I will know for sure if my body has a preference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts