Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it installed correctly?? I don't want to screw the tape the firts time. Bar is a normal dropbar.

THX!!!

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Not sure there IS a correct way; here's ONE way

If you start at the bottom, at the ends of the bars, and wrap upward, then the overlaps will point down and you won't tend to peel them back as your hands slide down the bar. Doesn't matter whether you go clockwise or counter, though I seem to wrap from the inside, over the top and down the outside on both sides. Overlap about one-quarter to one-third of the width of the tape (it will vary as you go around the bends), and pull snug as you go.
The only tricky part is going around the levers. Some people do a figure eight wrap you'll have to work out for yourself, but it's no disgrace to cut off a few inches from the new roll and put it over the clamp before you start. Grant Petersen at Rivendell recommends wrapping in two sections on each side, going from the bottom to the levers and then from the levers to the stem; you can see that at www.rivbike.com.
It's no big deal if you screw up--just unwind and start over. I've done dozens of them, and it often takes me a couple of tries to get it right. Finally, if you have wide bars (mine are 48 and 50cm), you'll need more than a bike's worth of tape.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Man I miss the slick bar tape Rivendell used to have....

I forget the brand name. It did'nt have an adhesive back and no padding of any kind. The silver looked so hot on my bike. Todays tapes are all adhesive backed I think. I'm not sure about having a chance to unwrap and fix a faux-pa. I use Cinelli tape and its adhesive back only gives me one shot. I've found the instructions on www.parktools.com the best and easiest to follow. Look under repair help at the left of the screen and highlight the handlebar on the bike to get to the part of the menu that has these instructions.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
0119 said:
I forget the brand name. It did'nt have an adhesive back and no padding of any kind. The silver looked so hot on my bike. Todays tapes are all adhesive backed I think. I'm not sure about having a chance to unwrap and fix a faux-pa. I use Cinelli tape and its adhesive back only gives me one shot. I've found the instructions on www.parktools.com the best and easiest to follow. Look under repair help at the left of the screen and highlight the handlebar on the bike to get to the part of the menu that has these instructions.
Just what I needed man!!! Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Benotto?

Still regularly available on e-Bay. What color do you want? I think I still have a few; yours cheap.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alibi said:
Still regularly available on e-Bay. What color do you want? I think I still have a few; yours cheap.
OH... Thank you very much!! The add on ebay drew my attention hard!! But if I wanted benotto tape I would take the subway to the store :D

BTW... If you want some more Benotto stuff just lemme know I can get you some!!

Thanks again but my bike is not a vintage one. I had a 24" road bike Benotto which I used for "trail riding" let's say (when I was a kid) which used the tape you're selling. I finally ripped it after a shunt and changed it for some foam grips (complete for dropbars!!!) which were fashion in my hometown back in the time.

My first MTB (1992) was a Benotto Monte Bello 12sp. Basically it was a heavy beefed steel road frame with some adaptations for MTB and flatbars (It was a rush going 53-13 on downhills). I heavily modified this ride and when it was just how I liked it I got it stolen (circa 2000). It had a flexxy like hell fork which was a blessing for MTB way before suspension forks.

Mine is a Benotto Millenium 2000 aluminum triathlon frame. Is originally from my cousin but she rides no more, so I just took it meanwhile I get a MTB ride.

Thank you... you really brought some memories back to me. :cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Benotto thats IT!!

alibi said:
I would love to get some Silver. If you've got it I'll by it from you. Hurricane Ivan is heading my way right now and works calling. When Its all done, I'll give you a buzz if you got some. Thanks Henry, [email protected]

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
0119 said:
I would love to get some Silver. If you've got it I'll by it from you. Hurricane Ivan is heading my way right now and works calling. When Its all done, I'll give you a buzz if you got some. Thanks Henry, [email protected]
Let me see next time I go to the Benotto store. Although it's not on their on-line cat, I have seen some of that tape at the stores. I'll look for the silver one or let you know colors available. We can make some exchange.... :D

***** ooops.. Sorry for the intromission. I didn't read well. Anyway I'll check for the silver tape. All my apologies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts