Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's time for new handlebar tape. What do you all recommend?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The chain lube post finally died down so now you are going to stir up bar tape.... seriously????!!!! LOL

·
Super Moderator
40,806 Posts
Yea... wtf?

:Thread reported to moderator.

Many people like thick spongy / tacky tapes. I hate that stuff. Personally, I like traditional fizik tape. Lasts super long and easy to clean.

Also, inform cxwrench that someone is posting in the wrong forum; handlebar tape is obviously a "Component."

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cinelli cork ribbon. And yes, this thread needs to be in "Components, Wrenching" and Lombard needs to be given a time out.

·
Super Moderator
40,806 Posts
Cinelli cork ribbon. And yes, this thread needs to be in "Components, Wrenching" and Lombard needs to be given a time out.
^This.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Whatever you choose, don't buy Arundel tape.

I thought I had a picture of my old tape, but I don't.

As their ad copy says, it's a two layer tape; an EVA base topped with a layer of silicone.

The silicone layer peels away pretty quickly, like a scab, in high wear areas such as just above the brake hoods on my bike. Probably started after a half dozen rides. Looks like crap.

No cork based or synthetic cork style tape has ever done this on my bikes.

I wouldn't use it again if it was given to me.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, inform cxwrench that someone is posting in the wrong forum; handlebar tape is obviously a "Component."
LOL! I actually thought about putting it in the Apparel and Cycling Clothes forum. I don't think of handlebar tape as a component, it's more of an accessory. And you certainly don't wrench it. :idea:

And as bvber said, I didn't call it "Once and For All, End All Be All" so there may be more like it. :D

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be more clear, I am using MSW EVA tape right now and I really like it. It has worn well, but its time has come to replace it. Well, no matter where I look, the MSW product has been discontinued.

So what am I looking for? Something with reasonable wear, comfort (2.5mm) and grip.....you know, everything a good bar tape has.

So I just want to get an idea of what people here use, what they like and what sucks. That's all.

Does anybody think the high end tapes from companies like Fizik and Lizard Skins are worth the $40 price tag, or are they just hype.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I like fizik tape.

If budget is a concern, Profile Design makes a cork tape that I’ve had good luck with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I just had to wrap bars last night, will never be good at it and really don't like it. I usually would recommend Shimano PRO but the newer stuff has a weird texture I don't like as much as the older version.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just did my gravel/commuter bike with Giant Connect Gel ($15 at my LBS) and was very happy with the results.

It's around 2.5mm thick, nice surface feel with good padding. No logo on the tape itself.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts