Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
398 Posts
Lizard Skins ...

Never Again.
After wrapping DSP 2.5 as per instruction (not to stretched too tight ), it lasted two rides before the vinyl cover started to peel.

After a month, it was peeling mess.
Replaced with Cinelli.

I do however double wrap my drop for grip ....do you?

In the past Sir Lombard, you mentioned your numb hands.

Fit and fitness is the cause of your numbness.

NOT TAPE !

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I used to be a fan of Lizard Skins but I think Specialized and Bontrager are both better, however my new favorite is Fabric, good stuff.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Banned
398 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
And what say you RE Fizik Tape ? Come out with it , need we ask?
Did it solve your numb hand issues? Huh?
How could it do anything for me yet? I just ordered it. :rolleyes:

BTW I love my Fizi:k R5 Road Shoes. Love their style and fit.
...er but I don't think you ride road shoes... so you wouldn't understand.
And your point? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
398 Posts
How could it do anything for me yet? I just ordered it. :rolleyes:

And your point? :rolleyes:
er.. ok I missed your " just plunged " part with the tape... my bad.

About your hand numb issue... that's not tape related... That's fit related.
(Point #1)

About FiZiK Road Shoes ... Don't think you got that on your radar. You don't ride their road shoes...do you?
(Point #2).

I like their products. Never tried the bar tape.

But please do, show/tell your Fizik bar tape review.

(What color did you get)?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,915 Posts
I like fizik tape.

If budget is a concern, Profile Design makes a cork tape that I’ve had good luck with.
Fizik ftw,
I get about 2 years out of the micro fiber (at 4k/yr)
I tried Cinelli Cork and hated it, started decomposing after 3 rides

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
If you like padded - Bontrager gel cork and double gel cork are nice options. Very durable and comfortable.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Black.

Supacaz handle bar tape
I considered this one and the pattern on it is really cool, but saw some not so nice reviews about lack of padding and durability.

If you like padded - Bontrager gel cork and double gel cork are nice options. Very durable and comfortable.
When it comes to padding, I like a moderate amount, but more isn't better. I have had bar tape that actually had too much padding for my taste. There was a feeling of lack of control with it. 2.5mm or thereabout is the sweet spot. 3mm or more is too much.

Thank you all for the input!

·
Grumpy Old Man
151 Posts
I’ve used Bontrager gel cork bar tape on most of my builds this year, primarily because I live across the street from REI and it’s what they carry. So far I’ve been happy with it. At $20.00 a set it’s not too expensive either. Color options are limited but i usually prefer black anyhow.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been taping bars for years and I'm sure I've used every brand and variation out there more than once. Lately I have been using Fizik, but flat aero bars require more tape and I'm always wrapping and rewrapping to make the tape cover. I tried Domain, which claims to be the longest tape available, and find I have more than enough to do the job. It's not super padded, but it stretches well and no "do overs" are needed. I will probably stick with Fizik on conventional bars, but if you have aero bars I'm convinced its the most trouble free.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Cinelli cork ribbon. And yes, this thread needs to be in "Components, Wrenching" and Lombard needs to be given a time out.
I use Cinelli cork tape on all my steel bikes because that is what nature intended. Last time I re-taped I tried the Cinelli cork gel tape; I have to say its a bit more comfy. I don't like to admit it, but I have used the Bontrager gel cork once or twice when Cinelli was not available. It works well also

·
Frog Whisperer
40,915 Posts
Imo, padded tape is lumpy. I hate it!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
er.. ok I missed your " just plunged " part with the tape... my bad.

About your hand numb issue... that's not tape related... That's fit related.
(Point #1)

About FiZiK Road Shoes ... Don't think you got that on your radar. You don't ride their road shoes...do you?
(Point #2).

I like their products. Never tried the bar tape.

But please do, show/tell your Fizik bar tape review.

OK PrairieBoy,

Point #1, Lombard (Or ErnieWTF I think of him because of his avatar) made no reference to hand numbness in this thread. I'll tell you something else about hand numbness. I've had quite a bit of it since the early 80s from lots of hits on the wrist riding skateboards. I also had another wreck on the left which was diagnosed with an MRI as a partial rotator cuff tear. And my right hand. Also experienced lots of numbness but happily that seems to be resolved after surgery for carpal tunnel surgery a couple of years ago. None of that is fit related.

Point #2, Why does ErnieWTF put a burr under your saddle, as others have alluded to? Do you have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread?

Point #3, OP/ErnieWTF, I've loved Lizard Skins on my road bike for several years. But it never lasted a season. I've been using double-wrapping on my gravel and MUT bikes for a long time, just using Bontager gel tape, gives me plenty cushiness. And when you put the second layer on, you may have to stretch the tape quite a bit to have enough tape for the second wrap. I wrapped my road bike bars last fall with a single layer of gel tape, and I really want a second layer. 31.8mm bars aren't 'fat' enough, and I don't have monster hands either.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Point #3, OP/ErnieWTF, I've loved Lizard Skins on my road bike for several years. But it never lasted a season. I've been using double-wrapping on my gravel and MUT bikes for a long time, just using Bontager gel tape, gives me plenty cushiness. And when you put the second layer on, you may have to stretch the tape quite a bit to have enough tape for the second wrap. I wrapped my road bike bars last fall with a single layer of gel tape, and I really want a second layer. 31.8mm bars aren't 'fat' enough, and I don't have monster hands either.
Hmmm. I've never tried double wrapping for the reason it would make the bars too thick for my taste - which is what happened when I tried 3.5mm tape once. I felt that the thickness reduced the feeling of control. I have the curse of small hands and big feet. Not sure how I got that mutant gene.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
To be more clear, I am using MSW EVA tape right now and I really like it. It has worn well, but its time has come to replace it. Well, no matter where I look, the MSW product has been discontinued.

So what am I looking for? Something with reasonable wear, comfort (2.5mm) and grip.....you know, everything a good bar tape has.

So I just want to get an idea of what people here use, what they like and what sucks. That's all.

Does anybody think the high end tapes from companies like Fizik and Lizard Skins are worth the $40 price tag, or are they just hype.

Looks like back is available here: https://www.treefortbikes.com/MSW-E...QDHVO1cVZCByVhZA5mbPNkWV1AtlZ1uoaAqgGEALw_wcB

Everybody and their brother makes a basic foam tape like that. LBS very likely has something about identical.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Fizik ftw, I get about 2 years out of the micro fiber (at 4k/yr)
yeah, 2 years at 8K miles/yr here.

if it wasn't for Fizik, I wouldn't be running white bar tape...stuff cleans up easily and wears like iron.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts