Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use Cinelli cork tape on all my steel bikes because that is what nature intended. Last time I re-taped I tried the Cinelli cork gel tape; I have to say its a bit more comfy. I don't like to admit it, but I have used the Bontrager gel cork once or twice when Cinelli was not available. It works well also
I use the gel tape, but I think it wears faster and moves around more because it doesn't have an adhesive on the back. I think I'll use the cork tape next time.

·
Registered
873 Posts
SUPACAZ!

I got nearly 15,000 miles out of my first wrap job, I couldn't believe it.

And their bar ends are tremendous.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I use the gel tape, but I think it wears faster and moves around more because it doesn't have an adhesive on the back. I think I'll use the cork tape next time.
I use lighter colored tapes (white, yellow, orange) so they usually get replaced due to dirt before they wear out. I haven't noticed it sliding around but there is probably left over sticky goo on the bars from past tapes

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I haven't noticed it sliding around but there is probably left over sticky goo on the bars from past tapes
I can't say I've ever had a problem with tape slipping unless I didn't wrap it tight enough.

·
Banned
398 Posts
I wasted $40 bucks on the Lizard Skin.
I'm happy with $16 dollar Cinelli Camo, Bought two.
Considered SupaCaz, but wasn't in the mood to spend another $40.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Cork or synthetic cork on a 6 to 12 months replacement cycle. Mid year is necessary for my indoor setup as I only wash it on a roughly monthly schedule as opposed to biweekly outdoors. I tend to have SRAM around since it's cheap.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Well it's time for new handlebar tape. What do you all recommend?
I am a Lizards Skins guy. I dismissed it for years as a gimmick, but finally tried it and I am hooked. I am putting it on my new MTB I am building as well.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
How long has it been on and how does it look now?
Over eight months and it looks pretty much the same it did when I put it on with minimal wear. I don't ride in a lot of foul weather though and I almost always wear gloves. I have zero complaints.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Over eight months and it looks pretty much the same it did when I put it on with minimal wear. I don't ride in a lot of foul weather though and I almost always wear gloves. I have zero complaints.
How many miles is that?

·
Banned
398 Posts
I am a Lizards Skins guy. I dismissed it for years as a gimmick, but finally tried it and I am hooked. I am putting it on my new MTB I am building as well.

It does occur to me from what I've read about Lizard Skin is that I may have received a bad manufacture lot.
Enough people complained that it appears they took action to address the thin veneer from prematurely peeling.
I'll clean and lube my chain three to four times a month, but I not down with changing my bar tape because it peeled down to the cloth fabric every month.

Hey Rash, Thank's for the links a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
It does occur to me from what I've read about Lizard Skin is that I may have received a bad manufacture lot.
Enough people complained that it appears they took action to address the thin veneer from prematurely peeling.
I'll clean and lube my chain three to four times a month, but I not down with changing my bar tape because it peeled down to the cloth fabric every month.
I used the Lizard Skin 2.5 for several years and loved the feel and the grip. But it never lasted. I never had peeling, but it would just wear through on the tops at the bends. Sometimes it started to show in a month. I was also careful not to stretch the tape too much per the instructions.

One other note on wrapping bars - I never peel off the adhesive covering, I just wrap the bars with it on. Does anyone else do that?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If the tape is slipping, you didn't wrap it tight enough. It doesn't matter if it has an adhesive strip or not.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
One other note on wrapping bars - I never peel off the adhesive covering, I just wrap the bars with it on. Does anyone else do that?
What would be the advantage of doing this?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
What would be the advantage of doing this?
It’s just a pain to unroll that strip while wrapping the bars, and you don’t have to clean any adhesive residue off the bars. No difference in the big picture but I was wondering if anyone else does.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
It’s just a pain to unroll that strip while wrapping the bars, and you don’t have to clean any adhesive residue off the bars. No difference in the big picture but I was wondering if anyone else does.
I always peel the adhesive off the back of bar tape. Its not necessary if you wrap the tape tightly, and it keeps the bars clean.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I always peel the adhesive off the back of bar tape. Its not necessary if you wrap the tape tightly, and it keeps the bars clean.
If you stretch cork tape too much, it can tear. Cork gel tape is stretchier, but wrapping too tightly will thin out the tape as it stretches, and you will lose padding.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts