Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 42cm bars my breathing is affected, my arms look/feel slightly spread out in the drops with 44cm (center-center). What should I do?
I am just asking if there are variations between manufacturers' 42 or 44cm bars.

For example there was a french magazine which compared actual and stated stem lengths ie. 120mm 116mm and they were differences ie. some were 116mm, etc.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Yes there are differences. For one thing some companies measure center to center while others measure outside to outside. So one company's 44 is another's 42. Also some bars curve in on the drops, so the top of the bar is wider than the spec. It always takes me a few rides to get used to a different width bar, but after a while your body adjusts and it's fine. There are limits of course, but really it's what you're used to.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I think 42cm is by far the most common/popular size measured C-C.
38cm always feel narrow, but are nice in a crowded pack.
44cm always seemed a little wide to me.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Rule of thumb is shoulder width but personal preference is the real guide. If 42's seem to restrict your breathing then by all means go wider. You should really measure bars, or at least know how the manufacturer measures them, before buying.

·
Atom B
202 Posts
DrSmile said:
Also some bars curve in on the drops, so the top of the bar is wider than the spec.
Or the opposite. The FSA Wing Pro Compact is narrower at the hoods than the C-C measured drops.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
bicicletă said:
Or the opposite. The FSA Wing Pro Compact is narrower at the hoods than the C-C measured drops.
Yeah I definitely reversed that. Thank you for the correction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts