Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I grip the drops, my fingers are long enough to come all the way around the circumference of the bar and touch my hand (actually, the not-so-soft palm of my gloves). When I sprint, it feels like I am abrading the tips of my fingers.

Do they make bars with a beefy grip in the drops? Should I just use thicker bar tape to increase the diameter?

Thanks.

·
glider
247 Posts
I double wrap the lowers first with cloth tape - creating a swell at the bar's ends which fills my palms nicely. Then I follow up with the top wrap.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Extra wrap under the bar tape is pretty much your only option. The diameter of handlebars outside the clamping area is pretty much standard across all manufacturers.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
bdaghisallo1 said:
Extra wrap under the bar tape is pretty much your only option. The diameter of handlebars outside the clamping area is pretty much standard across all manufacturers.
Wait...don't forget the Deda Elementi "Phazer" bars:
http://www.cbike.com/09dedaelementiphazercarbonbar317.aspx
Those might have some features that would help with bigger hands....

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Bizarre idea here, but if you know what lock-on grips are...

I'm pretty sure the grip section (lose the end clamps) slides easily and almost perfectly onto drop bars. Shove that on, wrap around it. IF it indeed works, bet it'd work well.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts

·
tthome
310 Posts
under my normal cork/foam bar wrap I usually wrap the bars with an old tube. this provides plenty of road dampening and should provide a good extra thickness for your hands to get around. i would guess you could triple wrap the drops with old tubes than finish the job with normal bar wrap. should works great!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,440 Posts
tthome said:
under my normal cork/foam bar wrap I usually wrap the bars with an old tube. this provides plenty of road dampening and should provide a good extra thickness for your hands to get around. i would guess you could triple wrap the drops with old tubes than finish the job with normal bar wrap. should works great!
it's damping...dampening is what happens when you pour water on something...;-)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coincidentally, I had to re-wrap my bars and the LBS had Easton cork tape. I put it on, and it's really thick. It's thicker than my old tape, which I already thought was thicker than Cinelli cork tape. This might do the trick. We'll see how it goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts