Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
get used to it...

You better come to grip with the fact that most things manufactured at a reasonable price will not be made in the USA. Is Taiwan any worse than Mexico, Romania or Tunisia? Manufacturing relies on cheap labor.

My latest Easton handlebars had a made in china sticker on them. As long as they work, what do I care?

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
toolmakerkid53 said:
Does any body know of handlebars and stems made somewhere other than China , tawian etc.
I really like the look and feel of the FSA K wing carbon bar but I am pretty sure it is made in tawain.
Thomson stems are US made. Certain Nitto bars are made in Japan. I actually have both on my CX bike. Probably not what you had in mind.

Taiwan is where it's at for the look and feel you seem to be going for.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
I always enjoy the daily "where is this part made...the far east! OMG" thread.
There are a few carbon bars, Schmolke comes to mind, that are made by people of the Caucasian persuasion. But expect to pay out the keester for it. You won't find any Aluminum bars that aren't made in Taiwan or China.
As of last year the Alpha Q carbon bar was still made stateside, though I'm not sure if this is still the case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have nothing against any group of people however I do belive you should try to suport local business. Its better for the enviroment because it traveles less. I can understand that people like to save money however it comes at a price you lose all the manufactoring jobs in your country.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
toolmakerkid53 said:
I have nothing against any group of people however I do belive you should try to suport local business. Its better for the enviroment because it traveles less. I can understand that people like to save money however it comes at a price you lose all the manufactoring jobs in your country.
Erm... Yeah but, what are you gonna do about it anyway since most bars/stems are made there and not to mention, bikes too?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I think you should go out & buy a new Corvette. Engine made in Canada, brakes made in Australia, headlights made in Mexico, balsa wood floor panels from Equador, .....need I go on? I photographed a wedding of a daughter of a UAW official maybe 12 years ago. I remember specifically that the camera he brought to the wedding to take snapshots was a Japanese make, and he was using Fuji film.

I agree that the loss of mfg jobs is unfortunate and even dangerous to our economy. I also like to support U.S. workers. The facts though, are that we are in a global economy, and IMO that's not likely to ever reverse. To bury our heads in the sand (again, IMO) would be a huge mistake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.