Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building up my first fixed gear and would like to get some TT bars but not Mavic's with the aggressive drop. Where are folks getting their non-drop handlebars? Are you cutting road bars?

Larry

·
Registered
115 Posts
lgh said:
I'm building up my first fixed gear and would like to get some TT bars but not Mavic's with the aggressive drop. Where are folks getting their non-drop handlebars? Are you cutting road bars?
Personally, I would rather spend the money on real bullhorns than cut off drop bars. Real bullhorns have a long, flat "hoods" area for gripping the bars. Cut drop bars only have a short, curved area for gripping the bars (depending on the bars, of course, but I've never seen cut bars fit to my satisfaction). Furthermore, the "hoods" area on real bullhorns are usually long enough for two positions---one more upright with your hands close to the bend and one lower with your hands on the tips of the bars.

What I do is get a set of bullhorns with moderate drop and then tilt them upwards. This way my hands are at about the same level as bars with less drop, but my wrists are angled straighter and thus more comfortably.

I prefer syntace bullhorns. The "tops" area are tilted slightly backwards and the "hoods" area is angled inward, which makes for more comfortable wrist positions.

·
Registered
139 Posts
chucksbikes.com

They have Syntace Stratos for unbelievable prices (yes they are legitimate). I got the Syntace Stratos 400 in black while they still had them. They have some left in silver, but I would act fast. $12.50!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks!

Thank you all for the sage advice. When you set up the stem, do you set it up for a road bar or not? I realize this might be personal preference but messing with different stems can be expensive! The bike will be for rollers, fun, and commuting

Larry

·
Fixed Geezer
76 Posts
Travis Bickle said:
I have the Stoker 26.

http://www.profile-design.com/2006_product_pages/base_bars/stoker.html

Nice and wide with no drop. Only problem is that they are 26mm throughout, the dont taper to 25.4mm. Salsa sells a cyclecross inline lever in a 31.8mm clamp that comes with a sacer to fit. I dremeled a handlebar shim.
I'm using those with a Cane Creek TT200 lever that fits inside the end of the bar:

I like 'em!

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Just noticed you posted pics to the two 'stickys' on up top. I started reading from the bottom up - DOH! Cool bike. I noticed you removed the stickers (or had asked them not to be put on in the first place?).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts