Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a cross post but i kinda need some answers and it wasn't gettin love in the component/wrenching forum

when im on the bike, especially up on the hoods, i feel like my arms are spread way out. the feeling isn't as evident when in the drops, but its definately still there. i just feel like my arms should be slightly closer together. it isn't really as much of an issue in the drops. i have relatively narrow shoulders for my build (i have a pretty small upper body).

according the website, my bike has 44cm handlebars. my crude measurements put them in the ballpark of 44cm outside-outside, and roughly 42cm center-center.

all this being said, are new, narrower bars the answer? should i try something out 1 size smaller? will the 2cm of less width (i guess 1cm per side) feel all that different? i know this would come with a cost, and that would be handling. since i race, is this a bad idea?

and my last question, i read the old 31.8mm vs. 26mm bar questions, but couldn't really get a clear answer, knowing i weigh nothing, would you guys reccomend getting a 26mm setup if i could get it for less (i need to get a new stem anyways). if there is the apparent "softness" or a 26mm setup (doubtful?) then what would be a stiffer stem?

lastly, if i get a bar with about 1cm more reach to it, should i decrease my stem legnth by 1cm? and if i were to get a bar with more drop, then use a lesser negative stem angle (flatter, to compensate for the extra drop?), and vice versa?

thanks

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
How spread your arms feel is a function both of bar width (obviously) and stem length. That is, if you are already maxed out reach-wise due to the stem length, your hoods can feel even farther apart.

Have you evaluated your stem length? How is your fit with hands merely on the outside bends of the bars?

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I'm 6'0", fairly narrow torso, and ride 42 cm C-C bars. I think you're a fair bit shorter; you might try narrower ones.

My new bike has 31.8mm ("OS") Ritchey Pro bars. My old one has 26mm ("standard") EA70s. I've tried to convince myself that it's not flexy handlebars bothering me, it's something else, but I keep coming back to it.

I'm light, though not as light as you, but I'm frequently out of the saddle on climbs, and the stiffer bars feel so much better doing that. I'm about to order a new Deda OS bar / stem ... I'll see if it's noticably stiffer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.