1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
I kept going back to the Retrotec bikes - something about the curvy frames just drew me in. Also had a nice chat with Bruce Gordon and drooled over the Ti racks and brakes - again, more curves.

I hope they hold it in San Jose next year.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Very good show

I took a bunch of picts that should go up in the next several days...

Builders that impressed me that I never heard of
- Jamie Swan
- Rebolledo
- Rich Adams
- Jonny's Cycles

Crazy Stuff
- Peacock Groove's Triple Chain snow bike
- Bruce Gordon's Ti brakes and racks

Other random observations
- Lots of guys using eRichie's lugs!
- Was somewhat surprised by some of the variations in bikes. Imagine drooling over a brevet bike with a generator, racks, and a Brooks saddle only to go to the next booth to drool over ultralight custom carbon!
- Not a lot of traffic in the Shimano both (which seemed to be touting their new 105 grouppo)
- Lots of track bikes
- What MTB's that were there were mostly singlespeed with many of them as 29'er singlespeeds.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did the show on Saturday and definitely enjoyed it. Obviously, there is no right answer to what was the best; the great thing is that everyone can have their favorites and we can all be right.

This was my first time seeing offerings in person from almost all of these builders. I also had a pretty open mind going into this show.

Overall I was most impressed by the Vanillas. IMO, I thought Sascha's lugged steel frames really stood out above what was a stacked field; so classic, such amazing paint, stunning lugs and drop outs. His attention to detail, the craftsmanship, and artistry really left an impression on me.

So, my best list if anyone cares...
Steel- Vanilla
Carbon- Ru Sports
Mixed frame- Independent Fabrication (ti/ carbon)
Titanium- Nelson
Bamboo- Take a guess (pretty cool)
Classic paint- Vanilla again
Wow! paint- Ru Sports
Cool new product- New Reynolds stainless tubing and the IF bike built from it
Components- Phil Wood
Nicest guys- Independent Fabrication

If I were ordering a bike based on what I saw at the show I would get 1) Vanilla 2) Ru Carbon 3) IF

·
lo and behold!
144 Posts
Had a Great time Sunday... Retrotec always gets my vote for cool curvy bikes. Curtis and Mitzi are two of the nicest folks anyone could meet.
Bruce Gordon, the grumpy bastard that he's known to be had some of the coolest stuff in the building. Ti cantilevers and racks and very practical cycles. Had nice chat with Mike DeSalvo. I heard a little about him and wanted to know more. I walked away buying that sweet baby blue road frame from him :D
He has to bond the carbon seat stay and I should be riding it next weekend.
You just never know what's going to happen at the NABHS!
BTW: How did the awards ceremony breakdown?

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
wily in pacifica said:
Did they give out awards?

If so, is there a list of winners?

Willy in pacifica
I know that last year in Houston they gave out awards.
I wasn't lucky enough to attend this year, but seeing the number and range of participants, and the overall excellence displayed, the idea of "awards" really seems a bit incongruous, for an event like this.

The quality certainly speaks for itself, and the wonderful celebration of craft seems more than sufficient.

I really hope that this show occurs every year, and that the only awards they give out will be for "Best Food"; "Best Beverage"; and "Best Dessert".
Get some of those fine San Hozay restaurants to duke it out amongst themselves, right there on the S. J. Convention Center floor.
But only if someone agrees to make titanium colanders, napkin rings, and mesh coasters as prizes, of course.:rolleyes:

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
EDITED: Repeat post. So just ignore it.
:rolleyes: Gee...don't you just absolutely LOVE that new RBR techknowledgy????....emoticon = rolleyes (sarcastic).:rolleyes:

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Hey cadence90

Did you check out the Kish bikes? I gotta have one. Didn't care for the green on his crosser, but beautiful nontheless.

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Did you check out the Kish bikes? I gotta have one. Didn't care for the green on his crosser, but beautiful nontheless.
At the show, you mean?
No, I wasn't there, unfortunately.

But I did see pics of a ti road frame he built recently, painted black. Really, really stunning.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
where did u see that?

cadence90 said:
At the show, you mean?
No, I wasn't there, unfortunately.

But I did see pics of a ti road frame he built recently, painted black. Really, really stunning.
clue me in?

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Phat&SlowVelo said:
clue me in?
JK sent them to me.
Here are some detail shots.
I don't feel comfortable posting the full bike because it's not mine and I don't know the owner.

Titanium road frame, painted black.
I think it's super. Really elegant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts